These muffins can be wrapped and frozen successfully for up to one month. I’ve used maple syrup instead of sugar, and as there is so much natural sweetness from the sultanas and apples, they actually need very little – it works out at only 1 teaspoon per muffin, which isn’t bad if you fancy giving yourself a little treat.
– 100g (4oz) wholemeal flour
– 100g (4oz) self-raising flour
– 1 tbsp baking powder
– 1 tsp mixed spice
– 25g (1oz) wheat bran
– 2 eating apples, cored and finely chopped
– 50g (2oz) sultanas
– 50g (2oz) pecan nuts, chopped
– 25g (1oz) rolled oats
– 100ml (3 ½ fl oz) sunflower oil
– 2 eggs, beaten
– 4 tbsp maple syrup or honey
– 2 tbsp natural yoghurt
– 1 tsp sesame seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F/gas mark 6). Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
2. Sift the flours, baking powder and mixed spice into a bowl. Add the bran left in the sieve and the rest of the
wheat bran and mix to combine.
3. Add the apples, sultanas, pecans and oats and mix lightly with a wooden spoon. Make a well in the centre, then add the oil, eggs and maple syrup and stir to mix. Add the yoghurt and stir lightly until just combined – don’t over
4. Spoon the batter into the lined muffin tin until each case is three-quarters full. Sprinkle sesame seeds over the top.
5. Bake for 16–18 minutes, until firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and cool slightly. Serve warm.
‘The Nations Favourite Healthy Food’ is chef Neven Maguire’s latest book. Since Neven took over the family business in 2001, MacNean House & Restaurant has been consistently winning awards for its food, service, wine offer and overall dining experience. In addition to his Neven Maguire Cookery School, where Neven presents a range of exciting cookery classes for all skill levels, he has also launched his exclusive ‘The Chef’s Table’ dining experience. Hosted in the beautiful and private surrounds of his cookery school, Neven and his team cook in front of diners and present the restaurant’s acclaimed Tasting Menu. Accompanying wines are presented and served by the restaurant’s sommelier. Visit nevenmaguire.com for more information.