The team at Ashford Castle have created this recipe for chocolate torte which is quiet intense in the flavour of the chocolate, yet light and moist. It’s a great recipe which is also gluten free.
Makes 1 x 10″ square Torte
– 250g pasteurised whole eggs
– 175g icing sugar
– 175g ground almonds
– 50g cocoa powder
– 40g melted butter
– 325g pasteurised egg whites
– 80g caster sugar
1. Place the eggs, melted butter, icing sugar, ground almonds and cocoa powder into a bowl and mix to combine.
2. Whisk the egg whites to soft peak, add the caster sugar.
3. Fold the egg white mixture into the almond mixture, add the melted butter.
4. Place the mixture into a 10” square cake tin.
5. Bake at 19°C for 28 minutes.
6. Allow to cool.
Dark Chocolate Cremeux
– 120g pasteurised egg yolks
– 75g granulated sugar
– 250g milk
– 250g cream
– 3 sheet gelatine
– 400g dark chocolate (at least 60% Cocoa solids)
1. Prepare the custard base
2. Soak the gelatine in cold water.
3. Place the milk and cream into a saucepan and heat gently.
4. Combine the egg yolks and sugar.
5. Pour the hot milk/cream mixture over the egg yolk and sugar mixture and whisk to combine.
6. Pour back into a clean saucepan.
7. Cook over a slow heat until the mixture reaches 82°C, (the mixture will continue to cook to 85°C off the heat).
8. Squeeze the excess water from the gelatine and add to the custard mixture.
9. Blend with a hand blender until smooth and creamy.
10. Add the dark chocolate.
11. Blend with a hand blender until smooth and creamy.
12. Chill overnight in a bowl.
13. Day 2 whisk mix in a bowl to a smooth consistency.
Assembly of Chocolate Torte
1. Using a sharp serrated carving knife, divide the chocolate sponge in 4.
2. Weight the cremeux into 3 parts each weighing 365g and layer evenly between the 4 layers of sponge.
3. Allow to chill overnight.
Unrivalled service, warm Irish hospitality and five star luxury await at Ashford Castle, part of the Red Carnation Hotel Collection and a member of Leading Hotels of the World. Situated in a spectacular 350 acre estate, discover sumptuous rooms and suites, splendid interiors brimming with antique furniture, fine fabrics and unique features at every turn.
From fine dining to a wealth of activities on the doorstep, a stay at Ashford Castle is perfect for romantic breaks, family escapes and elegant private events.