This mackerel salad recipe is amazingly vibrant, packed full of interesting flavours and textures.
Serves 2 as a main
– 1 tsp sunflower oil
– 4 small hot-smoked mackerel fillets, skin removed
– 1 mango, peeled and cut into 1cm dice
– 1 large carrot, peeled and grated or cut into fine julienne
– Small shallot, peeled and very thinly sliced
– 1 red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced
– 2 tsp caster or palm sugar
– 4 tsp Thai fish sauce
– Zest and juice of 2 limes
– 30g roasted salted peanuts, roughly chopped
– 15g Thai basil, thinly
1. Add the oil to a large non-stick frying pan. Turn the heat to high and add the mackerel.
2. Fry for just a minute or two until crispy.
3. Remove from the heat and lay the mackerel fillets on kitchen paper to absorb any excess oil.
4. Put the prepared mango, carrot, shallot and chilli in a large mixing bowl. Stir together.
5. Stir the sugar, fish sauce, lime zest and juice together in a small bowl.
6. Pour over the salad ingredients in the bowl.
7. Add the mackerel and gently combine. Serve on a plate topped with peanuts and Thai basil, if you’re using it. Enjoy immediately.
Smoked is published by Kyle Books and can be purchased on Amazon.