Baked Avocado and Egg Recipe by Derval O’Rourke
This baked avocado and egg recipe makes a lovely weekend breakfast or brunch dish. It takes a little time, with the eggs being baked in the oven but is a nutritious and satisfying way to start the day.
– 1 avocado
– salt and pepper
– a few basil leaves, chopped
– 2 eggs
– grated Parmesan, to garnish
– brown bread, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4.
2. Cut the avocado in half and remove the stone. Use a teaspoon to scoop out some of the flesh from each avocado half, creating a hollow large enough to hold a cracked egg.
3. Chop the scooped-out avocado flesh and set aside.
4. Season the avocado halves and sprinkle an equal amount of chopped basil over each one, reserving some basil as a
garnish. Crack one egg into each avocado half.
5. Place the filled avocado halves on a baking tray, being careful not to spill the eggs. Bake for 20 minutes.
6. Arrange the baked avocado halves on serving plates alongside the chopped avocado. Garnish with the basil and parmesan and serve with brown bread.
In her cookbook, Food for the Fast Lane: Recipes to Power your Body and Mind Derval O’Rourke shares the recipes that helped her achieve her fitness targets.
Derval has held the title of World Champion in sprint hurdles and competed for Ireland in three Olympic Games. She also picked up four European Championship medals and holds the Irish record for sprint hurdles.
As both a foodie and fitness fanatic she is passionate about experimenting with healthy, nutritious recipes, which she shares through her blog (dervalorourke.blogspot.com), on Twitter (@DervalORourke) and now in this book.