I believe in using what’s in the spice cupboard at every opportunity and this baked turmeric eggs recipe does just that. One of the simplest ways to use turmeric is to add its distinct yellow colour to your eggs. Curcumin is the main active ingredient in turmeric; it’s said to have powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a very strong antioxidant.
Be aware that you do need a large amount of turmeric to see the benefits that some of the studies report – add a pinch of black pepper to aid absorption. This recipe is delicious and works well whether you use one, two or all three of the suggested filling ingredients. Double up the recipe if you are serving more people.
– 1 tsp ground turmeric
– 2 medium eggs
– 1 tbsp grated hard cheese or 2 tbsp soft cheese, such as cottage cheese
– handful of herbs, such as chives or parsley,chopped,
– pinch of salt and black pepper
– 20g spinach, shredded
– 1 tomato, diced
– 1–2 mushrooms, thinly sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C fan/220°C/425°F/gas mark 7.
2. Lightly grease 2 small ovenproof ramekins (capacity 150ml) or small baking dishes with a little oil or butter and then divide your prepped chosen fillings between the ramekins.
3. Whisk together the turmeric with the eggs then stir in the cheese and herbs, if using. Season with salt and pepper and pour into the ramekins over your fillings.
4. Bake for 12–15 minutes until the egg is browned and set on top.
Rhiannon Lambert is a nutritionist specialising in weight management, eating disorders and sports nutrition. She is the founder of Rhitrition, a leading Harley Street private clinic.Grounded in scientific evidence, in this part handbook and part cookbook, Rhiannon shares her food philosophy to inform, inspire and help you fall back in love with food. Following the structure of a consultation with Rhiannon at her Harley Street clinic, Rhitition, discover the foundations for a happy, healthy relationship with eating and gain the confidence you need to create delicious, nourishing meals with her Re-Nourish Menu.
RE-NOURISH: A Simple Way to Eat Well by Rhiannon Lambert is available now (Yellow Kite, £18.99)