This salad is nutritious and healthy, full of antioxidants, minerals and vitamins that we really need this time of year. Yet it is indulgent and very satisfying.
All time winning combination of earthy beetroot with creamy savoury goats cheese, fruity blueberries and cranberries topped with toasted nut crunch – absolute gem that will brighten up your autumn days.
– 1 medium baked/boiled beetroot
– 2-3 handfuls of kale (you can replace with salad greens)
– 2 handfuls of blueberries (1/2 for the sauce, 1/2 for the salad)
– Goats cheese (I used the French Chèvre with edible white rind – but in this recipe most goats cheeses will do the job)
– Maple syrup, blackcurrant liquor infused cranberries
– 2 tbsp olive oil
– 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
– Mixed toasted nuts (I used mix of walnuts, pecan nuts and hazelnuts)
Maple syrup and blackcurrant liquor infused cranberries:
*these can be replaced with store-bought dried cranberries
1. Place cranberries in a pot, add maple syrup.
2. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until cranberries soften.
3. Add blackcurrant liquor and cook cranberries until caramelised.
Blueberry white wine vinegar sauce
1. Combine a handful of blueberries, 2 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp white wine vinegar – blend.
1. Wash unpeeled beetroot, add olive oil, sea salt and thyme (optional).
2. Bake in the over for around 40 mins – 1 hr at 180°C or until beetroot feels tender.
1. Blanch kale in salted water for 3 minutes, until bright green colour.
2. Drain kale and immediately run under cold water.
3. Spread kale and pieces of beetroot over the plate, sprinkle with blueberries, cranberries and toasted nuts.
4. Crumble goats cheese.
5. Add blueberry sauce.
With a background in clinical nutrition and pharmaceutical sciences Jelena is a self-proclaimed foodie. She combines love and passion for cooking with unique skill of being able to create dishes that taste great and are of a high nutritional value, making sure you eat the best when you do.
Her kitchen is the food lab full of soul and passion where she happily spends hours experimenting. Her recipe collection is like a treasure chest that has something for each and every one.