Siúcra’s Black Forest Pancakes Recipe is the perfect weekend indulgence. Whether you’re in search of the ideal brunch or a sweet evening treat, these stacks of goodness are sure to make your mouth water.
Bursting with a sweet cherry flavour, alongside subtle hints of cocoa, there’s no better way to kick start your weekend!
– 450g Cherries, pitted and halved
– 25g Siúcra Golden Granulated Sugar
– 2 tsp Arrowroot or Cornflour
– 25g Butter, plus extra for cooking
– 175g Self-Raising Flour
– 50g Cocoa Powder
– 1 tsp Baking Powder
– 25g Siúcra Caster Sugar
– Pinch of Sea Salt flakes
– 300ml (1/2 pint) Milk
– 1 large Egg
– Dash of Kirsch (cherry liqueur, optional)
– 200ml (7fl oz) Cream
– 2 tbsp Siúcra Icing Sugar
– 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
– Grated Plain Chocolate, to decorate (70% cocoa solids)
1. To make the crème Chantilly, put the cream into a bowl with the Siúcra icing sugar and vanilla. Whisk by hand or with an electric beater until you have soft shiny peaks.
2. To make the pancakes, melt the butter in a small pan or in the microwave. Sieve the flour, cocoa and baking powder into a bowl and stir in the Siúcra caster sugar and salt.
3. Whisk the milk, egg and melted butter in a jug with the kirsch, if using. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and whisk in the liquid ingredients until smooth.
4. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add a knob of butter and then spoon in heaped tablespoons of the batter; you should fit in four at a time.
5. Once bubbles begin to appear on the pancakes, then turn them over and cook for another minute or so until golden. Repeat – you should end up with 12 pancakes in total.
1. Place a pancake on each serving plate and spoon over some of the cherry compote, then add a dollop of the crème Chantilly. Add another pancake and repeat the layers, finishing with a dollop of the crème Chantilly.
2. Decorate each one with any remaining cherry compote and some grated plain chocolate to serve.