This homemade ice cream recipe is such a treat. Not only is it fun to make; it’s nice to be able to customize flavor options to your exact preferences and those of your family. Here I’ve combined hot-weather favorite mint ice cream with fresh, seasonal blackberries. The end result is cool, creamy, and beautiful!
Makes 5 cups
You will need:
– 1 cup sugar
– 2 large eggs
– 1½ tablespoons arrowroot or cornstarch
– 2 cups half-and-half
– 2 cups heavy cream
– ¼ cup fresh mint leaves
– ¼ teaspoon mint extract
– 1 pint fresh blackberries
1. Whisk the sugar and eggs together in a large bowl until the mixture thickens slightly. Add the arrowroot and whisk until fully incorporated. Set the bowl aside.
2. Warm the half-and-half in a heavy-bottom saucepan over medium heat. When it reaches a gentle simmer, slowly, carefully whisk it into the egg and sugar mixture. Return the mixture to the saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring continually, until the mixture thickens slightly and clings to the back of a spoon. Remove from heat. Strain the custard through a fine mesh sieve into a medium bowl. Set aside to cool for 1 hour.
3. Stir in the heavy cream, fresh mint, and mint extract. Cover the bowl with a kitchen cloth or overturned plate and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Whisk the chilled mixture, then strain off the fresh mint and either discard or compost it.
4. Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker. Freeze it according to your machine’s instructions, adding the blackberries once the mixture begins to thicken and firm up, 10 to 15 minutes into processing time.
From the décor, to the entertainment, on down to the recipes themselves, Handmade Gatherings presents inspired suggestions for thoughtful, flavorful, festive communal dining. Here you’ll find sixteen parties built around the rhythm of the seasons. Frosty winter fetes, lush springtime soirees, sultry summer get-togethers,and crisp autumn affairs—it’s all here. Food, décor, crafts, and more are part of each event, all collectively assembled and executed. Throw memorable gatherings with your loved ones, enjoy the food, connect with your community, and get caught up in the splendor of it all.
To buy the book visit www.roostbooks.com..
From Handmade Gatherings by Ashley English © 2014 by Ashley English. Photographs © 2014 by Jen Altman. Reprinted by arrangement with Roost Books, an imprint of Shambhala Publications, Inc. Boston, MA.