You can of course use any bread you like for this french toast recipe, but a thick wodge of brioche feels especially indulgent. We love to eat this with a generous spoonful of sour cherry compote. A little goes a long way with this intense sour-sweet compote.
Sour Cherry Compote
– 500g frozen cherries, thawed
– Zest and juice of ½ lemon
– 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
– 2 tbsp caster sugar
– little splash of milk
– 1 tbsp unwaxed lemon zest
– sprinkle of vanilla caster sugar
– Butter, for frying
– 1 thick slice (3cm-ish) of brioche or other bread
– Icing sugar and sour cherry compote or fresh fruit and berries, to serve
Sour Cherry Compote
1. Add all the ingredients to a heavy-based pan and place over a low to medium heat. Cook gently for 15 minutes until the sugar has dissolved.
2. Increase the heat to high and cook for another 5–10 minutes or so, stirring occasionally (and lowering the heat, if necessary) to stop it burning, until the mixture is sticky enough to coat the back of the spoon.
3. Leave to cool before eating or chill in the fridge until needed.
1. Crack the egg into a wide flattish bowl and whisk. Add the milk, lemon zest and sugar and whisk thoroughly to combine.
2. Put a frying pan over a medium heat and add the butter. While it melts, dip the bread into the eggy mix.
3. When the bread is well soaked and the butter in the pan is hot, add the bread, pouring over any excess egg mixture.
4. Fry for a couple of minutes on each side until golden and crisp.
5. Serve immediately, with a dusting of icing sugar and compote or some fresh fruit.
Sophie grew up in London and studied English at UCL. She is now a freelance writer, editor and occasional food stylist. Caroline comes from generations of French fruit farmers from Provence. She now lives in London and writes for the Guardian.
The Little Book Of Brunch is filled with easy and inspiring recipes for the best meal of the day. Brunch encapsulates everything a meal should be: easy, delicious and adaptable- it is the most fun meal of all.
The Little Book of Brunch by Caroline Craig and Sophie Missing is published by Square Peg in Hardback at £16