Salads are such a versatile dish to make and great for serving amongst a group. A great salad recipe in my mind should be fresh, crisp and light.
This recipe combines all three. Tenderstem broccoli adds some real crunch but regular broccoli works fine when not in season. The toasted hazelnut and lemon dressing adds a deep layer of flavour whilst not drowning the leaves.
Vegetable crisps are possibly the tastiest creation ever, you can make your own at home but I prefer to buy them as they take quite some time to fully crisp up. Serve with some grilled chicken for a simple lunch or dinner option.
– 2 tbsp hazelnuts
– 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
– 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
– Zest of 1/2 fresh lemon
– 10 florets tenderstem or purple sprouting broccoli
– 1 head baby gem lettuce
– 2 large handfuls baby leaf spinach
– Handful vegetable crisps
1. Place the hazelnuts in a frying pan over a medium heat and toast until the skin begins to detach.
2. Set aside one tablespoon of the hazelnuts for later, place the remaining hazelnuts in a food processor or bash with a rolling pin until you achieve a fine crumble consistency.
3. Place the blitzed hazelnuts, oil, lemon juice and zest in a clean jam jar. Tighten the lid and shake to combine. Taste; if you like it a bit zestier just add another squeeze of lemon juice.
4. Bring a small pan of water to the boil, remove from the heat and add the broccoli. Allow to blanch for 5 minutes, strain and refresh under running cold water until fully cooled.
5. In a large mixing bowl, separate the leaves from the head of baby gem lettuce, add the spinach, broccoli, toasted halved hazelnuts and 2 tablespoon of the oil. Mix it all together gently with your hands.
6. Transfer to a large serving platter and sprinkle the vegetable crisps over to finish.
After work and the football field, the kitchen is generally where you will find chartered physiotherapist and ladies footballer, Sinéad Delahunty. A passionate lover of all food, she shares her kitchen creations through her food blog – Delalicious. She focuses on inspiring others to fuel their lives through healthy, wholesome and natural food with quick and easy recipes for all. She is currently on a year out from work and football, eating and adventuring her way around the world.
Check out her blog, www.delalicious.com for more recipe inspiration or follow her on social media for more Delalicious delights.