These Cacao Caramel Bites make the perfect snack to bring to work. Weekdays or weekends, these healthy chocolate treats will spruce up any lunchbox.
– 30 soft fresh dates (600g), pitted
– 1⁄4 cup (80g) natural hazelnut butter+
– 2 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
– 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
– 1⁄4 cup (25g) raw cacao or cocoa powder
– 100g 70% dark chocolate
– 1⁄4 cup (45g) raw cacao nibs
1. Line a 10cm x 20cm loaf tin with non-stick baking paper. Place the dates, hazelnut butter, vanilla, oil and cacao in a food processor and process for 3–4 minutes or until smooth.
2. Using the back of a spoon, press the mixture into the tin and smooth the surface++. Freeze for 4 hours or until firm.
3. Line a tray with non-stick baking paper. Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (the bowl shouldn’t touch the water) and stir until melted and smooth.
4. Remove the slice from the tin and cut into 14 bars. Using a fork, dip each bar into the chocolate, allowing any excess to drip off.
5. Place on the tray and sprinkle with the cacao nibs. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until set.
+ Find hazelnut butter, or spread, in the health food aisle of the supermarket. You could use almond or macadamia butter here, too, just stick to natural nut spreads to skip out on unwanted oils, sodium and sugar.
++ If the mixture is sticky, grease the spoon in a little melted coconut oil to help you spread and
smooth it. Tip: Keep these bites refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks (for a firmer caramel) or at room temperature for up to 1 week (for a softer caramel).
Australia’s bestselling cookbook author returns with a stunning new book, Modern Baking.
From the way ingredients change as they’re whisked and whipped, to the joy that a warm slice of cake can bring – baking has always been Donna’s first love in the kitchen. Even though she’s a classics girl at heart, she’s forever adding on-trend twists to her sweet recipes.
This book is what she likes to think of as her modern baking bible. Inside are more than 250 recipes – her all-time favourite essentials, plus some super-smart shortcuts for when life gets crazy busy.
Be it chewy cookies, the fudgiest brownies, dreamy meringue or creamy iced desserts, let these modern sweets bring a little magic into your kitchen.