The Passionate Tart Recipe from CakeFace Patisserie
CakeFace is turning one this month and to celebrate we’re sharing with you the recipe for a best seller at our patisserie in Kilkenny, ‘The Passionate Tart, ‘ a winning combination of creamy tangy passion fruit curd and a buttery crumbly ‘lemon sable’ base.
We set the curd in special shallow mould but ¼ filling silicon muffin moulds would do the trick, alternatively pipe it into nice glasses and serve with the sable on the side.
Passion Fruit Curd
– 150g passion fruit juice strained but keep the seeds
– 120g caster sugar
– 4 eggs
– 1 lemon, zested
– 75g unsalted butter
– 1 sheet of leaf gelatin
– 210g unsalted butter
– 75g icing sugar, sieved
– Pinch of salt
– Zest of half a lemon
– 210g plain flour
Passionate Fruit Curd
1. Bring the passion fruit to a boil for a minute, this will break down the acid that would otherwise inhibit the gelatin.
2. Place the juice into a metal bowl over a saucepan with a small amount of water to boil.
3. Add the sugar to the juice and whisk to dissolve.
4. Break up the eggs with a whisk add to the sugar, juice and zest.
5. You can ignore this now for about 10-15 giving it a stir every now and again.
6. Meanwhile soak the gelatin in cold water. When the curd is thick and has the consistency of custard its ready or if you have a thermometer when its 85 degrees.
7. Add the gelatin and stir until dissolved. Next blitz in the butter with a hand blender.
1. Cream the butter, sugar and salt until very pale.
2. Add the remaining ingredients.
3. Place in the fridge to cool and relax.
4. Roll out and cut out discs to fit the size of the mold you are using. Cook for 12 mins at 160 until golden.
Cakeface is the brainchild of pastry chef duo Laura & Rory Gannon. Returning home after years working with some of the best pastry teams in France and London, Cakeface was born. Their aim was to create unique, quirky and unusual cakes pastries and desserts. CakeFace specialise in the unexpected and delicious, their range of desserts is designed to wow and surprise. www.cakefacepastry.com