This french toast recipe uses challah – the classic Jewish bread, hence the recipe name – and the combination of apples and walnuts is a little nod to charoset, a typical mix of apples, nuts, sugar and spices eaten at Passover.
Because of the lighter texture of the bread, the centre of the toast stays wonderfully squidgy and oozy, while the outside crisps up like a sunbather at Daytona.
– 2 eggs, lightly beaten
– 170ml milk
– 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
– 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
– Zest of 1/2 orange
– Good grating of whole nutmeg
– Pinch of salt
– 2 thick-cut slices of challah
– 30g salted butter
Apples and Walnuts
– 100g salted butter
– 100g caster sugar
– 2 eating apples, peeled, quartered and cored
– 50g walnut pieces
1. Whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, orange zest, nutmeg and salt together in a shallow dish.
2. Add the challah slices and leave to soak for about 5 minutes.
3. The bread soaks up most of the liquid, so flip the slices over and allow to soak for a further 2 minutes.
4. Melt the butter in a large frying pan and once foaming, add the challah slices.
5. Cook over a medium heat for 2–3 minutes per side, or until dappled golden brown all over. Keep warm.
Apples and Walnuts
1. For the apples and walnuts, melt the butter in a frying pan until foaming, then sprinkle in the sugar.
2. Caramelise slightly, then add the apples and the walnut pieces.
3. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the apples have softened nicely. Serve with the French toast.
Florence Cornish is a food blogger and chef. She trained at Leiths School of Food and Wine in London and was a River Cottage Rising Star Finalist in 2013. Made In The USA is a celebration of, all things great and glorious about American food, including 100 recipes showcasing the melting-pot of American cuisine. It covers breakfast classics such as Eggs Benedict and Pancakes with Blueberries & Cinnamon, slow cooking with Pulled Pork and Blue Belly Burgers and regional dishes such as San Francisco Spaghetti with Clams. The perfect cookbook for anyone who loves American cuisine.
Taken from Made in the USA by Florence Cornish priced at £18.99. Published by Kyle Books. To buy your copy kylebooks.co.uk