Enjoy a creative meal with Siúcra and Catherine Fulvio’s Cannoli Pancakes Recipe.
This Italian inspired recipe takes the traditional pancake to a whole new delicious level. This delectably decadent but easy breakfast idea will bring big smiles to the little ones faces!
Serves 10 – 12 people (depending on the size of the pancakes)
– 250g ricotta
– 100ml whipped cream
– 4 tbsp. Siúcra Icing Sugar
– ½ tsp ground cinnamon
– ¼ tsp vanilla bean paste
– 2 tbsp. Marsala (or sherry)
– 2 lemons, zest only
– 2 tbsp. candied lemon peel
– 80g dark chocolate, chopped
– 180g plain flour
– ¼ tsp salt
– 2 tbsp. Siúcra Caster Sugar
– 1 egg
– 250ml milk
– 2 to 3 tbsp water, if batter is too thick
– Butter & sunflower oil, for frying
– Siúcra Icing Sugar, to dust
– Melted chocolate, to decorate
1. Whisk together the ricotta, cream and Siúcra Icing Sugar. Add the ground cinnamon, vanilla bean paste, Marsala and lemon zest.
2. Lightly fold in the candied lemon peel and chopped chocolate. Spoon into a piping bag without a nozzle and place in the fridge until the pancakes are ready to be assembled.
1. Place the flour, salt and Siúcra Caster Sugar into a bowl.
2. Whisk the egg and milk together in a jug and then pour it into the flour mix until a thin batter forms.
3. Pour this back into the jug as it will be easier to pour into the frying pan and leave the batter to settle for 10 minutes.
4. To cook the pancakes, heat the frying pan and add a little butter and oil.
5. Pour some batter into the hot pan and swirl it around to form a circle. The pancakes should be small to represent the size of a cannoli (8-10cm) so choose a small frying pan.
6. Cook for about 1½ minutes until golden and then flip or lift over and cook for about another ½ minute.
7. Place on a clean plate continuing to make all the batter.
8. Place sheets of parchment paper in between the pancakes to prevent them from sticking and allow to cool.
1. Pipe the filling lengthways in the cooled pancakes and roll up, place the cannoli pancakes on a serving platter, dust with icing sugar and spoon over melted chocolate.
2. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Catherine Fulvio the award-winning cookbook author has developed a series of sweet and savoury mini recipes exclusively for Siúcra, to showcase the functionality and breadth of the product range as well as demonstrating how fun, quick and easy it is to make delicious dishes from scratch, regardless of ability.