Siúcra and Catherine Fulvio’s recipe for Blueberry Poke Cake makes for the perfect summer dessert. This recipe is simple and easy enough to make for any occasion, but also fancy enough to serve at special events or that perfect afternoon tea on a warm sunny day! This recipes serves 8 – 10 people.
For the cake
–4 large eggs
–200g Siúcra caster sugar
–180g butter, melted
–1 lemon, zest and juiced
–320g plain flour
–2 tsp baking powder
For the drizzle
–50ml orange juice
–Siúcra icing sugar
For the topping
–100g butter, softened
–4 tbsp soft cream cheese
–250g icing sugar
–1/2 tsp vanilla extract
–1 lemon, zest
–1/2 lemon, juice
–sprigs of rosemary
To prepare the cake
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
2. Line a 25cm square cake tin with baking parchment on the base and brush the sides with melted butter
3. Place the eggs and Siúcra sugar into a bowl and whisk until light and fluffy.
4. Pour in the melted butter, lemon zest and juice and whisk for a further 1 minute.
5. Sift the flour and baking powder together then carefully fold into the mix. Add just enough milk to form a soft cake batter.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until a skewer is inserted and it comes out clean.
7. Leave to cool completely on a cooling rack.
To prepare the topping
1. Place the butter, soft cream cheese into a mixer with the icing sugar and vanilla extract and whisk until light and fluffy. Add the lemon zest and juice.
To assemble the cake
1. When the cake is completely cold, make large holes with a skewer or a straw randomly into the cake but not all the way down.
To make the drizzle
1. Place the blueberries, orange juice and icing sugar into a blender and puree until smooth. Then pour into a saucepan and heat. When warm, pour this over the top of the cake and leave to cool before decorating.
To decorate the cake
1. Spread the topping over, sprinkle blueberries on and arrange the sprigs of rosemary.
Catherine Fulvio the award-winning cookbook author has developed a series of sweet and savoury mini recipes exclusively for Siúcra, to showcase the functionality and breadth of the product range as well as demonstrating how fun, quick and easy it is to make delicious dishes from scratch, regardless of ability.