This feature was created for the ‘Lamb, Try It, Love It’ campaign in association with Bord Bia with co-funding from the EU. Visit https://www.facebook.com/TryLamb/ for more information on all things European lamb.
European lamb is among the best in the world and is known for its delicious natural flavour, which complements a whole array of traditional and global dishes. Whether lightly seasoned to let its rich, natural flavour shine through or kicked up a notch with a spice rub, lamb is a versatile ingredient and a natural, local choice for Irish consumers.
With a wide variety of delicious cuts to choose from, lamb is suitable for a range of preparations and cooking styles. These meatballs with tomato sauce from #LambTryItLoveIt not only offer a fresh twist on a classic dish, but also feature quick-cooking lamb mince, making this a perfect meal for feeding a hungry family or planning for leftovers. Mix up your mid-week meal repertoire with this unique twist on the tried-and-tested meatball.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
– 500g lean minced lamb
– 40g bulgur wheat
– 2 tbsp olive oil
– 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
– 1 level tsp harissa
– 2 x 400g tins of cherry or chopped tomatoes
– 1 tsp sugar
– Salt and freshly ground black pepper
– 1 egg
– 1 tbsp honey
– A handful of coriander leaves, chopped
– 1 tsp ground cumin
– 100g grated mozzarella
– 50g grated farmhouse cheddar cheese
1. Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 4, 180°C (350°F).
2. Cover the bulgur wheat with 50 ml of boiling water and set aside to allow it to absorb the water.
3. Heat the oil in frying pan over a low heat. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the harissa, stir for 30 secs, then add the tomatoes, sugar and salt and pepper. Simmer gently.
4. Meanwhile, blend the minced lamb with the bulgur, egg, honey, chopped coriander, cumin and salt and pepper. Roll into meatballs the size of a walnut and place them onto an oven tray covered with greaseproof paper. Cook in the oven for 10 minutes.
5. Mix the sauce and meatballs in a baking dish. Sprinkle with the mozzarella followed by the cheddar. Cook in the oven for 10 minutes until golden brown.
6. Delicious served with mashed potatoes and tender stem broccoli, seasoned, tossed in oil and roasted in the oven for 10 minutes.
This feature was created for the ‘Lamb – Try It, Love It Campaign’, a new campaign launched in association with Bord Bia with co-funding from the EU. Visit www.facebook.com/TryLamb a tasty and fun destination for all things lamb.