My cherry semifreddo recipe is a beautiful, creamy, refreshing, elegant summer dessert! It is absolutely heavenly. I can guarantee it won’t be around long enough to melt!
– 1 medium egg
– 3 medium egg yolks
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 100g caster sugar
– 350ml double cream
– 1/2 lemon zest
– 400g fresh cherry halves
– 40g chopped pistachios
– Fresh cherries
– Chopped pistachio nuts
1. Double line a 2lb loaf tin with cling-film and set aside.
Whip the double cream until thick and chill.
2. Place the egg, yolks, sugar and vanilla in a bowl over a pot of gently simmering water.
3. Using an electric hand mixer, beat this for 10 minutes until the sabayon is thick and pale in colour. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
4. Once cold, fold in the whipped cream.
5. Add the cherries, chopped nuts and lemon zest to this.
6. Fold all ingredients together to ensure here evenly mixed.
7. Spoon this mix into the prepared tin and freeze for 24 hours.
8. When serving lift the semi freddo from the tin using the cling-film as a grip.
9. Remove the film and place the semi freddo on a chilled platter and top with chopped nuts and cherries! Serve immediately.
Shane Smith hails from Co. Cavan and has been cooking his way around Ireland and further afield for the past 16 years, starting his training in Co. Donegal in Tourism College Killybegs and then extending his studies to Galway Mayo Institute of Technology graduating with a degree in Culinary Arts, specialising in Pastry.
Shane has been very fortunate to have worked in and ran the pastry sections in some of Ireland’s leading 5* hotels and restaurants. Shane can be spotted all over the country carrying out his fun, interactive demonstrations with some of Ireland’s leading chefs. In September 2015, Shane was honoured to be awarded the title of “Best Bakery Manager in Ireland” in conjunction with Shelflife magazine and most recently has landed a cookery slot on Sunday AM where he can been seen regularly bringing his natural flare and love for all things sweet from the TV3 studios into the nation’s homes. chefshanesmith.ie