All of your favourite things in one bowl, this Chicken and Bacon Salad Recipe will convert any meat eater to salads.
– 3 chicken breasts, cut into pieces about the size of your thumb or 300-400g diced chicken
– 180g bacon lardons
– 200g tender stem broccoli, trimmed
– 150g mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
– 2 tbsp oil
– Salt and freshly ground black pepper
– 150g mixed leaves
– 2 ripe avocados, peeled, diced and tossed in a little lemon juice
– 75g creamy goats’ cheese
– Handful of pecan nuts, split lengthways
– 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
– 3 tbsp olive oil
– 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
– pinch of sugar
– Wholemeal bread
1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6, 200°C (400°F).
2. Toss the broccoli and mushrooms in a little oil, season with salt and pepper, place on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Mix them around after 5 minutes.
3. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
4. Meanwhile, heat a tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan. Season the chicken pieces and add them to the pan along with the bacon.
5. Cook until the bacon is crispy and the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
6. Place the chicken, bacon, broccoli, mushrooms, leaves and avocado in a large bowl.
7. Mix the dressing ingredients together and pour over the salad. Toss gently to coat everything in the dressing.
8. Transfer to a large serving bowl or serving plates. Spoon on the cheese and sprinkle over the pecan nuts. Serve with some wholemeal bread.
For more information, www.bordbia.ie