This citrus chicken and broccoli rice recipe is a great midweek dish as with a little bit of preparation the night before, you’ll have your dinner on the table in minutes. Marinate the chicken the night before and leave in the fridge, whilst the broccoli can be blitzed raw and stored in the fridge too.
– 4 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 inch sized piece of fresh ginger, grated
– Juice of 1 orange
– Juice of ½ lemon
– 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
– 4 tbsp water
– 1 tbsp mixed herbs
– 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
– 4 chicken fillets
– 1 large broccoli
– 30mls water
– 3 large handfuls of kale, de-stalked and roughly chopped
– 6 scallions, finely sliced
– 4 tbsp crème fraiche
1. Make the marinade by stirring together the garlic, ginger, orange and lemon juice, oil, water, herbs and pepper in a bowl.
2. Cut the chicken breasts into generous strips and add to the marinade. Cover and place in the fridge for at least 40 minutes or overnight.
3. For the broccoli rice: chop the broccoli including the stalk into florets and coarsely blitz with a food processor.
4. Place the grated broccoli with the water in a frying pan over a medium heat. Once the water begins to bubble, cover with a lid and allow the broccoli to gently steam for 5 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and stir through the kale, scallions and crème fraiche. Cover with the lid and allow the kale and scallions to lightly cook.
5. Preheat a grill pan over a high heat. Add the chicken to the pan, keeping some marinade aside.
6. Cook the chicken through, reduce the heat, spoon over the remaining marinade and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
7. Serve the chicken on top of a bed of broccoli rice.
After work and the football field, the kitchen is generally where you will find chartered physiotherapist and ladies footballer, Sinéad Delahunty, who has just released her first cookbook – Delalicious. A passionate lover of all food, she started out sharing her kitchen creations through her food blog of the same name. She focuses on inspiring others to fuel their lives through healthy, wholesome and natural food with quick and easy recipes for all. Just back from a year out from work and football, eating and adventuring her way around the world. Check out her blog, www.delalicious.com for more recipe inspiration, follow her on social media for more Delalicious delights or buy her book here.