Chicken Quesadillas Recipe by Aoife Hearne
This chicken quesadillas recipe can be a quick Monday meal if using leftovers from a roast at the weekend. You can make these quesadillas as spicy as you like with a little hot sauce.
– 3 tsp rapeseed oil
– 250g chicken breast, cut into strips
– 2 wholewheat wraps
– 3 tsp orange marmalade
– 4 tbsp kidney beans
– 2 roasted peppers (from a jar is fine)
– 2 tbsp chopped or 1 tbsp dried coriander
– pinch of salt
– dash of hot sauce (optional)
– 30g natural yogurt (3% fat)
– 50 g salad leaves
– 1⁄2 cucumber, sliced
– 2 tomatoes, sliced
1. Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a pan on a medium to high heat.
2. Add the chicken strips and sauté until cooked through, or use leftover roast chicken.
3. Remove the chicken and set aside.
4. Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in the same pan, on a medium heat, and add a wholewheat wrap and heat through.
5. Spread orange marmalade on the wholewheat wrap in the pan, followed by the chicken, kidney beans, roasted peppers, coriander and pinch of salt to season.
6. Top with another wholewheat wrap. Cook for 2–3 minutes until the bottom wrap is golden.
7. To toast the top wrap, place under a grill on medium heat.
8. Serve with the natural yogurt and a side salad.
Aoife Hearne is a registered dietitian and a member of the Irish Nutrition and Dietetic Institute, the professional body for dietitians in Ireland. Aoife went to the United States on an athletic scholarship where she studied nutrition at The University of Tennessee and completed a dietetic internship at the world renowned Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston. Aoife is a panel member of RTE’s Operation Transformation as the nutrition expert since 2014. Aoife was the first dietitian that was part of the TV show in the year it won an IFTA.
The Plan is Aoife Hearne’s easy-to-use new cookbook containing a range of delicious dishes for the whole family, so you can enjoy getting healthier together. At the time of year when kids go back to school and routines fall back into place, make The Plan part of your routine with a range of delicious dishes for tempting breakfasts, lunches and dinners.
The Plan is published by Gill Books, order your copy here.