Chinese-Style Sweet and Sour Pork Recipe from The Allergy Free Cookbook
This Sweet and Sour pork recipe is a great classic of Chinese cuisine and a favourite on takeaway menus, but if you have allergies it can often be hard to find a suitable restaurant or takeaway that is safe for your set of allergies. Well, fear not – this is so simple and even better than many takeaway dishes we have tried, so nobody needs to miss out. This is great served with boiled long-grain rice and baby sweetcorn.
– 1 teaspoon cornflour
– 2 tablespoons water
– 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
– 2 tablespoons orange juice, from a carton
– 1 teaspoon tomato purée
– 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
– ¹⁄8 teaspoon salt (optional)
– 1 teaspoon olive oil
– ½ small onion, sliced
– 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped into chunks
– 500g pork fillet, trimmed of any sinews and sliced
– ½ teaspoon Chinese five-spice (see Note below)
– 140g tin pineapple in juice, chopped into chunks
– 50g tinned bamboo shoots (optional)
1. Mix together the cornflour and water in a small bowl. Add the sugar, orange juice, tomato purée, white wine vinegar and salt (if using). Mix together and then set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium to high heat and gently fry the onion and red pepper for a few minutes until they start to soften.
3. Add the pork slices and then cook for couple of minutes on each side until lightly browned and just cooked through.
4. Stir in the Chinese five-spice and cook for a further minute.
5. Add the cornflour mixture and the pineapple chunks and bamboo shoots, if using. Stir through and leave to simmer for a few moments. The sauce will start to bubble and thicken quite quickly. If you prefer a runnier sauce, just add a little water or juice from the pineapple tin before serving.
Some Chinese five-spice seasoning packets have a whole range of added ingredients such as salt and sugar as well as allergens. Make sure yours contains just cinnamon, fennel, star anise, ginger and cloves.
[su_note note_color=”#eeede9″]RECIPE FROM THE ALLERGY-FREE FAMILY COOKBOOK[/su_note]
The Allergy-Free Family Cookbook contains 100 recipes that are all free from dairy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, soya, gluten, sesame and shellfish. They are not only perfect for those diagnosed with single or multiple food allergies, they are also ideal for people with intolerances, coeliacs, as well as those wanting to avoid allergens for other reasons.
Recipes include shepherd’s pie, Thai curries, risottos and casseroles as well as cakes and desserts. They can all be made with ordinary, everyday ingredients; they just happen to be free from eight major allergens meaning everyone at the table can enjoy the same meal.
With kids back at school and busy schedules, parents needn’t struggle with ideas for quick, easy and nutritious meals whether they’re preparing them for their own families or for their children’s classmates.
[su_button url=”https://www.facebook.com/theallergyfreefamilycookbook8/” style=”flat” background=”#3f52a4″ radius=”0″ icon=”icon: facebook-square”]TheAllergyFreeFamilyCookbook8[/su_button] [su_button url=”https://twitter.com/foodallergymums” style=”flat” background=”#52a7ec” radius=”0″ icon=”icon: twitter-square”]FoodAllergyMums[/su_button]