Chocolate Banana Protein Pancakes Recipe by Peachy Palate
This Chocolate Banana Protein Pancakes Recipe was quite the success… if I do say so myself! Thick whey protein pancakes with a nice amount of carbs from the oats and banana, these fluffy wonders make for the perfect post workout meal. Fast digesting carbs and easily assimilated protein – perfect recovery food when you energy is depleted and your muscles need some growing fuel!
Whey protein can be a tricky one to cook with, particularly when it comes to baked goods, microwave mug cakes and of course pancakes. If you add too much you’ll end up with a dry chewy end product. This can also happen if you overbake with some added moisture in it! However for this pancake recipe the combination of banana, oats and whey protein powder works so well together.
You end up with a moist, thick and fluffy, buttermilk style pancake. I’ve cooked this batter as one jumbo pancake, actually it’s what I do most often as it just takes less time and I can get on with other things while it cooks. If you’re making one large pancake I recommend sticking it under a preheated grill after three minutes on the stove top, cooking it for 2 minutes under there, flipping and cooking for 1 minute more on the stove top – works every time! Otherwise flipping the ginormous pancake is likely to end in disaster. I personally would rather not take the risk when it comes to my post workout meal.
Check out my latest and first YouTube video if you want to see my pancake making skills in action!
Serves 1: 4-6 mini pancakes
– 20g (2 tbsp) Pulsin Whey Protein Isolate
– 120g (1 medium) ripe banana
– 30g (1/4 cup) gluten free oat flour, or oats blended to a fine flour consistency
– 1/2 tsp baking powder
– 1 tbsp (10g) raw cacao powder
– 2 tbsp (30ml) unsweetened almond milk
– 1/4 tsp vanilla extract, or vanilla powder
– 1/4 cup (60ml) egg whites, or 1 large whole egg
– 1 tbsp Pulsin Whey Protein Concentrate
– 3-5 drops liquid stevia
– 1/2 – 1 tbsp water
– 1 – 2 tbsp Meridian Foods Peanut Butter
– Banana Slices
1. Blend together all pancake ingredients in a jug with a hand blender or in a food processor or high speed blender. I prefer to use a jug with a hand blender as you don’t loose as much batter to your blending vessel!
2. Spray a non stick pan with cooking spray or melt a little coconut oil in the pan to grease it.
3. Pour batter into the pan, about 2 tbsp per pancake. Cook for 3 minutes over a medium heat before flipping and cooking for 2 minutes more. Repeat until all the batter is gone.
4. Mix together whey concentrate with stevia and water until smooth.
5. Stack pancakes, top with protein icing, peanut butter and slices of banana!
[su_note note_color=”#eeede9″]RECIPE BY PEACHY PALATE[/su_note]
I’m Shel but some people call me “Peachy”…I’m the food loving, fitness fanatic, blogger behind Peachy Palate, a website which is now my hub for all the paleo, keto and grain free recipes I create, hoping to inspire people to think outside the box, eating whole foods that truly nourish. Fueled by a desire to improve my own health I love to create sweet and savoury recipes, sharing them with the world ensuring no one need feel deprived regardless of their dietary restrictions or preferences. Living in Wicklow, Ireland, when not dreaming up recipes I’m lifting with the men folk in my local gym, tapped into social media or out on the road delivering, merchandising and being a super duper brand ambassador for a local health food company.
My relationship with food wasn’t always so bright, in fact it wasn’t at all harmonious for quite sometime. Having overcome a decade of eating disorders I’m in the best place I’ve ever been. I’m happy, healthy, confident and I now enjoy every nourishing mouthful, giving my body what it needs. One of my favourite quotes from a sensational foodie … “Nothing is too much trouble if it turns out the way it should.” Julia Child. Life, love and food! www.peachypalate.com
[su_button url=”https://twitter.com/PeachyPalate” background=”#1b8fbe” icon=”icon: twitter-square”]Peachy Palate[/su_button] [su_button url=”https://www.facebook.com/Peachy-Palate-206307399427269/” background=”#141b88″ icon=”icon: facebook-square”]Peachy Palate[/su_button]
MORE RECIPES BY PEACHY PALATE
[TT-FOURBLOCK ID=”100031, 117684, 109415, 103137″]