This Chocolate Croissant Recipe is from BOSH! The Cookbook.
This is an easy indulgence, created as a result of our love of pains au chocolat. The ready-rolled pastry makes it an effortless, deliciously moreish dish, perfect for the morning after. It’s simple to make, impressive to look at (definitely put the fruity bits on top for added wow factor) and just that little bit naughty.
– 100g dark chocolate
– 2½ tbsp icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
– 2 x sheets ready-rolled dairy-free puff pastry
– 2 tbsp plant-based milk
– Handful strawberries
– Handful blueberries
– Handful raspberries
– Oat or soy cream, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Heat 3cm of water on a medium-low heat.
3. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
4. Put the heatproof bowl on top of the saucepan, making sure the bottom of the bowl isn’t touching the water, and reduce the heat to low.
5. Break 75g of the chocolate into the bowl and stir occasionally with a wooden spoon until the chocolate has melted.
6. Pour in the icing sugar, stir to mix it in completely without any lumps and take the pan off the heat.
7. Lay 1 sheet of puff pastry on to the lined baking sheet.
8. Pour most of the melted chocolate on to the centre of the pastry and spread it out, leaving a 2cm gap around the edges.
9. Lay the second sheet of pastry flush on top (you may want to ask a friend for help).
10. Gently press the 2 sheets of pastry together all the way round the edges. With a sharp knife, make 5 evenly spaced cuts into the long edges of the pastry so that they reach about 5cm in from the edges.
11. You should be left with a strip of pastry running down the middle of the sheets that is at least 3cm wide, with 5 flaps of pastry either side.
12. Cut the remaining chocolate into 10 chunks and place 1 chunk in the middle of each flap of pastry. Roll the flaps over the chocolate chunks, taking care not to cover the middle section, and press them to seal in the chocolate.
13. Brush all over the top with the plant-based milk.
14. Put the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 30–35 minutes, until the pastry is golden and slightly crispy.
15. Take the baking sheet out of the oven and scatter the fresh berries along the middle section. Drizzle over the remaining melted chocolate.
16. Dust lightly with icing sugar and serve immediately with a little oat or soy cream on the side for people to pour over if they wish.
Henry Firth and Ian Theasby, creators of the world’s biggest and fastest-growing plant-based platform, BOSH!, are the new faces of the food revolution.
BOSH! The Cookbook contains over 140 incredibly easy plant based recipes.
Whether you’re already sold on the plant-based lifestyle or you simply want to incorporate more meat, dairy and egg-free meals into your week, BOSH! The Cookbook is your plant-based bible.