The following recipe is a delicious summer dessert by Chef Gareth Mullins at The Marker Hotel. The Chocolate Mousse with Wexford Strawberries and Biscotti is the perfect summer indulgence.
– 535g 70% dark chocolate
– 400g cream (scald and pour over chocolate)
– 665g cream (whip and fold in a little at a time)
– 80g icing sugar
– 2 shots of strawberry liquor, optional
– 400g fresh strawberries
– 20g icing sugar
– Juice of 1/2 lemon
– 150g blanched, whole almonds, toasted
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 285g plain flour
– 150g caster sugar
– 3 large eggs
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Weigh out all the ingredients.
2. Put the 400g of cream in a pot and bring up to heat, just before boiling.
3. Whip the 665g cream with the icing sugar and whip to soft peaks.
4. Pour the hot bream over the chocolate and add the liquor and stir until all the chocolate has melted.
5. Allow to cool and gently fold in the whipped cream, don’t over mix the mousse as it could split.
6. Divide into some serving bowls and place into the fridge to set.
1. Cut the stalks from the strawberries and cut into quarters. Place in clean bowl with the sugar and lemon.
1. To toast almonds, heat oven to 180C and lay on a baking tray and bake until lightly browned around 10 mins. Turn oven down to 150C.
2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
3. Beat the eggs and vanilla extract in a separate bowl and add half the egg mixture to the dry ingredients. Stir in the almonds and then add remaining egg mixture.
4. As the mixture starts to form a dough, use well-floured hands to mould into a ball. It’s quite sticky! Mould dough into two logs with your hands about 20cm long by 3cm wide (approx) and lay on a baking tray covered with parchment. Leave some spreading room between the two logs. Bake for 40 mins until firm. Remove from oven and cool for 10-15 mins.
5. Cut each log into slices of about 1.5 – 2cm on the diagonal and lay each slice on its side on the baking tray. Bake for another 10 mins and then turn and bake the other side for 10 mins. Remove from the oven and cool. Store in an air-tight container.
With over 16 years’ experience cooking in five star hotels in Ireland and Australia, Gareth spent seven years in the Merrion Hotel, where he was Head Chef in The Cellar Restaurant & Bar. Gareth and his team were chosen to cook the main course at the 2017 Restaurant Association of Ireland Awards.www.themarkerhoteldublin.com.