Try this tray bake with some Orange Liqueur for a bit of a kick or use orange juice for a well behaved treat! It’s a bit like a jaffa chocolate cake with a topping of salted caramel!
– 225g caster sugar
– 275g butter
– 250g self-raising flour
– 25g cocoa powder
– 4 large eggs
– finely grated zest of 1 orange
– 2 tbsp orange juice or if you want to make it extra special use 2tsp Orange Liqueur
– 1 packet of milk chocolate chips
– 1 jar of unsalted caramel
– 1 packet of orange jelly slices for decoration
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, grease and line a 25-30cm x 20cm tin with baking paper
2. Put the sugar, butter, flour, baking powder, eggs, orange zest and juice (or liqueur) into a large mixing bowl. Mix gently with an electric whisk
3. Fold in the chocolate chips and pour into the lined tin
4. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes. If the cake starts to colour too quickly, cover with foil. Leave to cool in the tin.
5. When cake is cold cut into equal squares (if you want all the squares level, trim the tops)
6. Spread a heaped tbsp. of unsalted caramel on each square
7. Top with an orange jelly slice or some grated orange zest and grated chocolate
8. Serve with some fresh whipped cream or a dollop of vanilla ice-cream
Hi I’m Karyn Ryan, Mum to four & totally addicted to baking, absolutely passionate about getting kids into the kitchen to bake, my inspiration comes from my kids who always come up with mad ideas for Cakes & Cookies! I have been known on numerous occasions to bake a cake for dinner! I was very lucky to win two awards in the Easy Food Magazine Home Cook Hero Awards in 2011 & 2012 for baking.