Chocolate Seed Bars Recipe with Raisins and Orange from Blazing Salads
This bars recipe is vegan and gluten free.
One of the most popular sweet items we sell at Blazing Salads. Packed with seeds. Perfect for lunch boxes for school, college or the office. No baking involved. Fun to make with children.
– 75g linseeds
– 200g sunflower seeds
– 95g sesame seeds
– 150g 70% dark chocolate (we like Divine fairtrade)
– 70g raisins
– 100g sunflower margarine
– 3 tablespoons agave syrup, maple syrup or honey
– 10g orange peel
1. Set oven; Gas 5, 190 C, 375F.
2. Oil and line a 20cm (8in) or 23cm (9in) square baking tin with greaseproof paper, and lightly oil the paper.
3. Place the seeds on a baking tray and roast in a preheated oven for 15 minutes until lightly golden.
4. Break the chocolate into squares and place in a glass or metal bowl with the sunflower margarine, raisins, and Agave syrup. Chop the orange peel finely, and add to the bowl. Rest the bowl over a pot of lightly boiling water and melt.
5. Stir occasionally. Do not let the base of the bowl touch the water, as it will effect the melting of the chocolate.
6. Place 175g of the toasted seeds into a food processor and blend, or grind using a mortar and pestle. When the chocolate has melted completely remove the bowl from the pot and add the ground seeds and the remaining roasted whole seeds.
7. Stir well. Press the mixture into the square baking tin. (*tip; dip a metal spoon in water and press down lightly on the warm chocolate and seed mixture. Continue until the mixture is smooth and even.)
8. Place in the fridge and allow to set. Cut into squares and enjoy. The bars will keep well in an airtight container in the fridge.
Blazing Salads Food Co. on Drury Street, Dublin 2 was opened in 2000 by Lorraine and Pamela Fitzmaurice and their brother Joe to bring quality take out vegetarian/vegan wholefood to the city centre. The origins of their knowledge of wholefoods comes from an upbringing of macrobiotics.
Blazing Salads 42 Drury Street, Dublin 2, Ireland. www.blazingsalads.com