This Classic Bakewell Slice Recipe with Creme Patisserie and Poached Vanilla Fruits was created by Chef Chad Byrne from Danu at The Brehon in Killarney.
Chad is aided by his two demi-chefs, Tina and Ewa, who help make the pastry what is it.
For the Shortcrust Pastry
– 175g plain flour
– 75g chilled butter
– 2-3 tbsp cold water
For the Filling
– 1 tbsp raspberry jam
– 125g butter
– 125g caster sugar
– 125g ground almonds
– 1 free-range egg, beaten
– ½ tsp almond extract
– 50g flaked almonds
– Apricot Glaze
1. To make the pastry, measure the flour into a bowl and rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the water, mixing to form a soft dough.
2. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface and use to line a 20cm/8in flan tin. Leave in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to (180C fan).
4. Line the pastry case with foil and fill with baking beans. Bake blind for about 15 minutes, then remove the beans and foil and cook for a further five minutes to dry out the base.
5. For the filing, spread the base of the flan generously with raspberry jam.
6. Melt the butter in a pan, take off the heat and then stir in the sugar. Add ground almonds, egg and almond extract. Pour into the flan tin and sprinkle over the flaked almonds.
7. Bake for about 35 minutes. If the almonds seem to be browning too quickly, cover the tart loosely with foil to prevent them burning.
8. Pour apricot glaze over and leave to set.
Currently the Executive Head Chef at Danú Restaurant in The Brehon, Killarney, Chef Chad Byrne has extensive experience working in renowned establishments such as the Michelin Star restaurant Ristorante Semplice in London, the five star Heritage Golf & Spa Resort in Killenard, The Killarney Park Hotel and The Clarence and Merrion Hotel in Dublin.
Chad was awarded Irish Gastro Chef of the Year in 2012 along with a Gold Medal from Chef Ireland 2012 and has also represented Ireland in the culinary Olympics in Errfurt Germany. Danú Restaurant holds 2 AA Rosettes and Chad runs the kitchen with the ethos of food, focus and fun.