The perfect fresh dish to kick off your 2018, this Apple Jelly with Coconut Sorbet recipe was created by Chef Chad Byrne at The Brehon Hotel in Killarney.
– 500g apple juice
– The zest of one lemon
– 1 knuckle ginger microplained
– 6 cups sugar
– 1 350g can cream of coconut
– 2 cans (700g) coconut milk
– 1 cup coconut water
– Juice of 3 tangerines
1. Place in a large pot, add lemon juice and sugar.
2. Bring to boiling over med-high heat. Boil hard for about 25mins, stirring regularly.
3. The jelly should slide off a cold metal spoon when it is ready. You will find that the jelly will begin to coat the stirring spoon.
4. Skim off foam, pour jelly into moulds and set till ready to use.
1. Combine all ingredients into a large bowl, whisk until fully mixed together. Cover bowl and place into the refrigerator to chill. Allow to chill for several hours, or overnight.
2. Once mixture is chilled, pour into a frozen ice cream maker bowl. Using ice cream maker, churn for approximately 20 minutes or until desired consistency is reached.
3. Scoop sorbet into a container, seal it, and place into freezer for approximately 2-3 hours to set. Serve and enjoy! Store in freezer.
1. Freeze juice in a tray. When semi-frozen, scrape with the back of a fork and repeat process until you’ve produced fine crystals. I add cardomon powder for subtle flavour. This process should take no more than 3 hours.
2. Do the above the day before or even the month before and keep in airtight container. It’s a great idea to freeze fruits before they have passed their best before date.
3. Plate up as per picture, garnished with edible flowers and lemon tuile.
Currently the Executive Head Chef at Danú Restaurant in The Brehon, Killarney, Chef Chad Byrne has extensive experience working in renowned establishments such as the Michelin Star restaurant Ristorante Semplice in London, the five star Heritage Golf & Spa Resort in Killenard, The Killarney Park Hotel and The Clarence and Merrion Hotel in Dublin.
Chad was awarded Irish Gastro Chef of the Year in 2012 along with a Gold Medal from Chef Ireland 2012 and has also represented Ireland in the culinary Olympics in Errfurt Germany. Danú Restaurant holds 2 AA Rosettes and Chad runs the kitchen with the ethos of food, focus and fun.