This Gubbeen Chorizo and Cod Fish Cakes recipe with Roast Garlic and Lemon Mayo by Chef Chad Byrne at The Brehon Hotel is the perfect treat for lunch or dinner.
– 2kg of mash potato plain
– 600g Gubbeen chorizo, chopped and roasted off
– 100g butter
– 4 bunches of spring onion, sliced, sautéed and buttered, chilled
– 4 large onions, diced, sautéed and chilled
– 150g parsely
– 100g dill
– 6 lemon zests
– 2 eggs
– 5 egg yolks
Fish Cooking Mix
– 4kg cod
– 1 bulb garlic, cut in half and bashed
– 4 litres of milk
– 1 bunch thyme
– 2 star anise
Garlic Herb Mayo
– 15g garlic string
– 1 lemon
– 2g tarragon
– 30g parsley and spinach
– 200ml mayo
1. Simmer milk and infuse with herbs and spice for 1 hour. Add diced fish, cover with cling film and take off the heat when the liquid is cold. The fish will be perfectly cooked so strain and keep milk for another use.
2. Mix all the chilled cake mix together and add the chilled fish.
3. Gently mix, keeping the fish as chunky as possible so the cake has texture. Season to taste.
4. For the garlic herb mayo, roast the garlic in foil for 15 minutes. Then put everything in the blender and blitz until smooth and green.
Currently the Executive Head Chef at Danú Restaurant in The Brehon, Killarney, Chef Chad Byrne has extensive experience working in renowned establishments such as the Michelin Star restaurant Ristorante Semplice in London, the five star Heritage Golf & Spa Resort in Killenard, The Killarney Park Hotel and The Clarence and Merrion Hotel in Dublin.
Chad was awarded Irish Gastro Chef of the Year in 2012 along with a Gold Medal from Chef Ireland 2012 and has also represented Ireland in the culinary Olympics in Errfurt Germany. Danú Restaurant holds 2 AA Rosettes and Chad runs the kitchen with the ethos of food, focus and fun.