Coleslaw with Horseradish Dressing Recipe by Catherine Fulvio
This is a different take on traditional coleslaw recipe and is particularly good in the autumn and winter, when all the ingredients are in season. Sometimes I finely chop roasted beetroot instead of the shredded red cabbage, which is really tasty.
For the coleslaw:
– 2 tbsp sultanas
– 2 tbsp apple juice
– 2 celery stalks, diced
– 2 apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
– 1⁄4 head red cabbage, very thinly sliced/shredded
– 1⁄4 head Savoy cabbage, very thinly sliced/shredded
– 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives, plus extra to garnish
For the dressing:
– 4 tbsp mayonnaise
– 4 tbsp natural yoghurt
– 1 tbsp cream
– 1 tbsp horseradish sauce
– 1⁄2 lemon, zest and juice
– salt and fresh ground pepper
1. Soak the sultanas in the apple juice for about 30 minutes.
2. To make the dressing, place the mayonnaise, natural yoghurt, cream, horseradish sauce, lemon zest and juice in a bowl and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Toss the sultanas and the apple juice, celery, apples, shredded cabbage and chives with the dressing. Check the seasoning, adding salt and pepper to taste, and serve with some chopped chives scattered over to garnish.
Her cookbook Catherine’s Family Kitchen, contains over 100 recipes that are geared to those who love good food but have busy, modern lifestyles. Practical, easy to make and truly delicious, her recipes make home made cooking approachable and uncomplicated.
Catherine Fulvio is the proprietor of the Ballyknocken House & Cookery School, Co Wicklow and one of Ireland’s top television culinary stars. Her previous books Catherine’s Italian Kitchen, Catherine’s Family Kitchen, Eat Like an Italian and The Weekend Chef were all bestsellers.
Catherine’s Family Kitchen is published by Gill Books, and is available to buy on www.gillbooks.ie.