Curried Chickpea Salad Recipe from Oh She Glows
This chickpea salad is lightly spiced with curry fl avours—just enough to give it character without overpowering the salad. Feel free to tweak all the spices to your own tastes by adding more or less ginger, curry powder or turmeric.
You can serve this salad scooped into pieces of Boston or Bibb lettuce, or stuffed in a wholemeal pitta. If you have a picnic or road trip in your future, you’ll be happy to know that it packs well, too. It keeps in the fridge for three to four days, so feel free to double the recipe if you’d like leftovers for the workweek!
– 1 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed, or 250g cooked chickpeas
– 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
– 90g finely chopped red bell pepper
– 15g fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
– 3 tbsp homemade vegan mayo, or store-bought
– 1 clove garlic, minced
– 1 ⁄ 2 tsp grated fresh ginger, or to taste
– 1 ⁄ 2 tsp ground turmeric
– 1/4 tsp curry powder, or more to taste
– 1 to 1 and 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice, to taste
– 1 ⁄ 4 tsp plus 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
– Freshly ground black pepper
– Cayenne pepper (optional)
1. In a large bowl, mash the chickpeas with a potato masher until fl aked in texture.
2. Stir in the spring onions, bell pepper, coriander, mayonnaise, garlic, ginger, turmeric and curry powder until combined.
3. Stir in the lemon juice, salt and black pepper, adjusting the quantities to taste. Add a dash or two of cayenne if you want some heat.
4. Serve with toasted bread, with crackers, on wholemeal wraps, or on top of a basic leafy green salad. The salad will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. Stir well before serving. You can also transfer the salad to a freezer-safe zip-top bag, press out all the air, and freeze for up to 1 month.
Make it soya-free
– If you’d like a soya-free version of this salad, be sure touse soya-free vegan mayonnaise. Vegenaise make a g reat soya-free version.
For Lemon-Dill Chickpea Salad
– Omit the coriander, ginger, turmeric and curry powder. Replace it with 1⁄ teaspoons yellow mustard and 2teaspoons minced fresh dill, and increase the lemon juice to 1⁄to 3 teaspoons, to taste.
[su_note note_color=”#eeede9″] RECIPE FROM OH SHE GLOWS EVERYDAY BY ANGELA LIDDON[/su_note]
Angela Liddon’s irresistible and foolproof recipes have become the gold standard for plant-based cooking. Her phenomenally popular blog and bestselling debut, The Oh She Glows Cookbook, have amassed millions of fans eager for her latest collection of creative and accessible recipes.
Now, in this highly anticipated follow-up cookbook, Liddon shares wildly delicious recipes that are perfect for busy lifestyles, promising to make plant-based eating convenient every day of the week-including holidays and special occasions!
Oh She Glows Every Day By Angela Liddon published by Michael Joseph Books is available to buy from 12th January 2017 here: www.amazon.co.uk/Oh-She-Glows-Every-Day/