Custard Cream Cupcakes Recipe by Karyn Ryan
This scrumptious custard cream cupcakes recipe is the best of the both worlds – cake and biscuit – in one delicious bite. Filled with custard and topped off with a rich vanilla buttercream, of course the crowing glory has to be everyone’s favorite biscuit “The Custard Cream”.
– 200g self-raising flour
– 225g butter
– 210g caster sugar
– 3 large eggs
– 75g custard powder
– 50ml milk
– 1/2 tsp baking soda (bread soda/bicarb)
– pinch of salt
– 1 packet custard cream biscuits
– 1200ml readymade custard
– 175g butter, cut into large pieces
– ½ tsp vanilla extract
– 2-3 tbsp milk
– 350g icing sugar, sifted
1. Preheat oven to 180c/350f and line a cupcake tin with 12 cupcake baking cases.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until it turns light and fluffy, add the eggs one at a time, beating in between the addition of each egg.
3. Add 50ml milk.
4. Sift the flour, custard powder, baking soda and salt into the bowl with the eggs and fold gently with a large metal spoon until everything is mixed.
5. Fill each cupcake (about 3/4 of the way up) and bake for 18-20 mins, until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
6. Leave the cupcakes to cool on a wire tray
7. When cold use a teaspoon to remove a small bit of sponge from each cupcake and add 1- 2 tablespoon of custard to each.
1. Beat the butter until its light & fluffy for 2 mins
2. Add vanilla extract, two tablespoons of the milk, and half the icing sugar to the large bowl and beat until smooth.
3. Beat in the remaining icing sugar, and pour in the rest of the milk if needed to make the icing the right consistency.
4. Using an icing bag pipe the vanilla icing in a swirl on each cupcake.
5. Top each cupcake with a custard cream biscuit and a drizzle of custard (optional)
Hi I’m Karyn. I’m a mum, blogger and lover of everything to do with baking. I try to come up with easy recipes that everyone can bake. I’ve won a few baking awards and even appeared on TV! I’m mostly found in my kitchen surrounded by flour and baking books. Thanks for stopping by and I hope you will join in on some of my Baking Adventures.