Is there anything more glorious that the marriage of velvety sweet chocolate and tart raspberries? No, I didn’t think so! This dark chocolate raspberry tart recipe is a fun and flirty summer favourite.
– 125g butter
– 125g caster sugar
– 2 eggs
– Dash of vanilla
– 250g plain flour
– 300g dark chocolate 54%
– 110ml milk
– 150ml cream
– 2 medium eggs
– Edible flowers
1. For the sweet pastry, cream the butter and sugar together until smooth. Add the eggs one at a time and vanilla, stir to combine.
2. Finally add the flour and mix until a dough is formed. Wrap in cling and chill for 1 hour.
3. Grease and dust a 8” round loose bottom tart ring with butter and flour. Roll the rested pastry and line the tart ring. Trim the excess pastry and place in the fridge to rest for 10 minutes.
4. Once rested, line with parchment paper and fill with baking beans and place in a preheated oven set at 165C and bake for 12 minutes, remove the baking beans and return for a few more minutes to cook the base.
5. Remove and allow to cool.
6. For the filling, melt the chocolate set aside. Gently heat the milk and cream and pour over the whisked eggs.
7. Add the chocolate to this and stir until smooth.
8. Pour this chocolate mixture into the pre-baked tart shell and place in a preheated oven set at 150C and bake for 20 minutes or until the chocolate filling firms up.
9. Carefully remove and chill for a minimum of 2 hours.
10. To serve, garnish with fresh raspberries, pistachios and edible flowers. Best served at room temperature with a side of whipped cream.
Shane Smith hails from Co Cavan and has been cooking his way around Ireland and further afield for the past 16 years, starting his training in Co. Donegal in Tourism College Killybegs and then extending his studies to Galway Mayo Institute of Technology graduating with a degree in Culinary Arts, specialising in Pastry.
Shane has been very fortunate to have worked in and ran the pastry sections in some of Ireland’s leading 5* hotels and restaurants. Shane can be spotted all over the country carrying out his fun, interactive demonstrations with some of Ireland’s leading chefs. In September 2015, Shane was honoured to be awarded the title of “Best Bakery Manager in Ireland” in conjunction with Shelflife magazine and most recently has landed a cookery slot on Sunday AM where he can been seen regularly bringing his natural flare and love for all things sweet from the TV3 studios into the nation’s homes. chefshanesmith.ie