Duck Liver Pate Recipe with Armagh Bramley Apple Jelly by Chef Gareth Reid
This Duck Liver Pate Recipe with Armagh Bramley Apple Jelly was created by Chef Gareth Reid.
– 500g duck livers, trimmed
– 1lt Armagh Bramley apple juice
– 450g salted butter
– ½ tsp pink salt
– ½ tsp Malden sea salt
– 2 tbsp roasted fresh garlic
– 1 sprig fresh thyme
– 10 leaves sage
– 4 leaves gelatine, soaked in ice
– ½ lemon, juiced
– 75g caster sugar
1. Heat 500ml apple juice with herbs, garlic and salts, poach livers gently in this liquid until they reach 75 degrees in the centre.
2. Remove livers with a slotted spoon and puree in a blender gradually adding cubes of butter until completely smooth, 5 minutes.
3. Taste and adjust seasoning, then pass through a fine sieve and place in individual ramekins or a greased and lined terrine mould then place in refrigerator to set.
4. Heat 100ml apple juice with sugar and lemon juice. Once hot, remove from heat source, add soaked and drained gelatine and stir until completely dissolved.
5. Add remaining apple juice and stir then pass through a fine sieve and allow to semi set in refrigerator.
6. Once cold but still fluid, pour jelly over set plate and place in refrigerator to fully set.
7. Serve with hot toast and a lightly dressed salad.
4Vicars, led by husband and wife, Gareth and Kasia Reid, is a small family owned and run restaurant set on the hill of ancient Armagh City, serving a small, daily changing menu in a relaxed environment.
Ahead of the 2018 Armagh Food & Cider Festival, two of the region’s leading and award-winning chefs, Mervyn Steenson of Grouncho’s in Richhill and Gareth Reid of 4Vicars – currently Ireland’s Best Casual Dining Restaurant in the Georgina Campbell Awards – show us how to make best use of the Food Heartland’s stunning produce.
Gareth will be cooking for a number of individual events including pintxos for a Wine vs Cider taste-off, a lavish four-course meal for ‘Murder in the Orchard’, and the Bramley Apple Banquet at Crannagael House.
With food and entertainment throughout, this will be a fantastic and memorable weekend for all to enjoy.