The combination of flavours in these Eggs Baked with Tomatoes and Red Peppers works really well but feel free to vary this dish by using whatever spices, herbs and cheese you have to hand.
– 4 large eggs
– 2 tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
– 1 large onion, peeled and thinly sliced
– 2 large red peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
– 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
– 1 tsp ground cumin
– 1 tsp smoked paprika
– 400g tin chopped tomatoes
– A pinch of sugar
– Salt and freshly ground black pepper
– 120g goats’ cheese
– 1 handful of chopped coriander
– Crusty bread and a green salad, to serve
1. Heat oven to Gas Mark 4, 180°C (350°F).
2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and red peppers and cook gently until very soft. This will take about 20 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin and smoked paprika and cook for another minute or two.
3. Stir in the tomatoes and a pinch of sugar. Season with salt and black pepper and simmer until the sauce has thickened, about 10 minutes.
4. Transfer to an ovenproof dish. Make four wells with the back of a spoon, large enough to hold an egg. Break the eggs into the wells and crumble over the goats’ cheese.
5. Place the dish in the oven and bake until the eggs are just set, 10 to 15 minutes.
6. Sprinkle with coriander and serve with crusty bread and a green salad.
World Egg Day is taking place on Friday 12th October and Bord Bia have developed a suite of nutritious and easy recipes to hero the egg. These recipes can be found at bordbia.ie/eggs.
Eggs are known to be high in protein, meaning they are the perfect meal option for post work outs and exercise. They are quick and easy to make and provide fuel for our busy daily lives. Bord Bia is encouraging people to get ‘cracking’ and create some delicious and versatile eggs dishes, in the coming weeks.
Remember to always look for the Bord Bia Quality Mark when purchasing eggs so that you know they have been produced to the highest Bord Bia quality standards and where they come from.