Eggs Benedict Recipe by Ciara Daly
Eggs Benedict. Need I say more? I just love them. Eggs are so good for you. They are one of the cheapest sources of protein out there yet here they are starring in one of the most beautiful breakfasts that there is!
While digging into ‘Eggs Benedict’ every day isn’t very healthy, you definitely owe it to yourself to enjoy them once in a while. And I mean, a bit of bacon never did anyone any harm now, did it?
So what are you waiting for? Get yourself into the kitchen and treat yourself to these babies.
– 4 – 6 pieces of bacon
– 2 crumpets
– 4 eggs
– 2 egg yolks
– 150 g cold butter (cubed)
– juice of 1/2 lemon
– 1 -2 tsp chopped chives
– salt and pepper
1. Take the healthy route and grill your bacon. I like mine nice and crispy, but you do it however you fancy.
2. The hollandaise sauce is the trickiest bit. Start by placing the egg yolks in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Whisk the eggs over the heat and gradually add in the butter. As you are whisking, you will slowly notice the sauce beginning to thicken. When this happens, squeeze in the juice of the lemon and stir it through. Remove the sauce pan from the heat keeping the bowl on top so the sauce stays warm.
3. In a separate saucepan poach the eggs. It helps if you stir the water before dropping them in as this will help the eggs to form. While they are cooking, you can also toast the crumpets.
4. Butter the crumpets while they are warm so the butter is beautiful and melted, before assembling your decadent breakfast. Place the bacon on the crumpets, followed by the poached eggs, hollandaise sauce and a sprinkling of chives on top.
Ciara Daly is the author of the popular food blog Getting Fed Up which focuses on the links between healthy eating and good health, with a particular focus on mental health.
‘Getting Fed Up’ is a place where Ciara shares her love of food and passion for delicious home cooking. She creates recipes that are quick and easy to put together with a special focus on using nourishing foods.
While Ciara is not an advocate of any particular diet, she hopes to promote the importance of a wholesome and healthy diet which includes good quality fish and meat, as well as local and seasonal vegetables. She encourages her readers to learn more about what they are eating and to make sure that they always enjoy their meal times. Life’s too short for counting calories after all!