This filo pastry turnovers recipe is ideal for a lunch or for taking on a picnic. They are lovely to eat. As you are eating them the flavor changes from the subtle spinach to the salty creamy feta, then to a hint of dill.
Makes 12 turnovers
– 1 small red onion diced
– Rapeseed oil or extra virgin olive oil
– 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
– 1.5 kg fresh spinach leaves, washed, stems removed and finely chopped
– Sea salt
– 1 level tablespoon chopped fresh dill
– 250 grms (9oz) feta cheese
– 12 sheets filo pastry (leave in the warmth of the kitchen 2-3 hours before using)
– Sesame seeds
1. Saute the onion in some oil.
2. Add the garlic and the shredded spinach, a pinch of sea salt and sweat down until the spinach is cooked.
3. Remove from the heat. Place in a colander to drain. Allow to cool.
4. When drained well, place the spinach in a bowl. Add the fresh dill. Roughly crumble in the Feta cheese. Mix well. Season. Divide into 12 portions.
5. Preheat the oven to Gas 5, 190*C, 375*F. Unwrap the pastry sheets.
6. Take 1 sheet, spread out flat, the longest side widthwise. Lightly brush with oil. Lay another sheet on top and lightly brush with oil. Do the same again with a third sheet.
7. Cut the oiled filo pastry with a knife into 3 strips lengthwise.
8. Place 1 portion of filling at the bottom left-hand corner of one of the strips. Fold over into a triangle and continue to fold until all the pastry strip has been used. Place on an oiled baking sheet.
9. Roll up the other 2 strips in the same way. Repeat the process with the rest of the filo and filling. You will have 12 turnovers.
10. Brush with a little oil and sprinkle well with sesame seeds. Bake in the centre of a preheated oven for 40 minutes or until the turnovers turn golden brown.
– The turnovers can be made in advance refrigerated until needed and baked before serving.
Blazing Salads Food Co. on Drury Street, Dublin 2 was opened in 2000 by Lorraine and Pamela Fitzmaurice and their brother Joe to bring quality take out vegetarian/vegan wholefood to the city centre. The origins of their knowledge of wholefoods comes from an upbringing of macrobiotics.
Blazing Salads 42 Drury Street, Dublin 2, Ireland. www.blazingsalads.com