Fish Pie Recipe with Butternut Squash Topping by Max Lowery
This is my dad’s fish pie recipe and our whole family can’t get enough of it! With a creamy filling and a cheesy butternut squash topping, this pie is jam-packed with colours, flavours and nutrients from the fish, eggs and vegetables. Using squash and sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes means your blood-sugar levels won’t be affected so much.
– 500g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3cm cubes
– 500g butternut squash, peeled and cut into 3cm cubes
– 1 tbsp grass-fed butter
– 4 spring onions
– 1 medium carrot, diced
– 250ml double cream
– 1 tsp Dijon or English mustard
– juice of 1/2 lemon
– 25g pack or small bunch of chives, finely chopped
– 2 handfuls of freshly grated Cheddar cheese
– 400g fish pie mix, such as cod, smoked haddock, salmon and prawns
– 3 hard-boiled eggs, free range and preferably organic, chopped
– a handful of frozen petits pois, plus extra to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
2. Boil the sweet potatoes and butternut squash for 10 minutes until soft. Mash together with half of the butter and set aside.
3. Heat the remaining butter in a frying pan over a medium–high heat. Cook the spring onions and carrots for about 5 minutes until soft, then add the cream, mustard, lemon juice and chives, and gradually add half the cheese until it melts.
4. Place the fish in a baking tray, and sprinkle the hard-boiled eggs all over the top. Pour the cheese sauce on top and add the peas. Layer the potato and butternut squash mash all over the fish and scatter the remaining cheese over the top.
5. Cook for 25 minutes. Serve with extra peas.
[su_note note_color=”#eeede9″]RECIPE BY MAX LOWERY FROM THE 2 MEAL DAY[/su_note]
Max Lowery is a personal trainer and online health coach who trains many high-profile celebrity clients, influencers and tastemakers, including some of the world’s top models. In The 2-Meal Day, Max Lowery introduces intermittent fasting – eat just two meals a day, either breakfast and lunch or lunch and dinner – to burn fat and get fit fast.
Ditch the calorie-counting and the sugar highs and lows and enjoy two meals a day alongside Max’s workouts for a leaner, fitter, healthier body.
The 2 Meal Day by Max Lowery is published by Kyle Books. Photography by Kate Whitaker and Michelle Beatty.