A French Toast Recipe as part of your gourmand repertoire is definitely a most! I absolutely love a great, well executed French toast, it has to involve a good quality bread, the end result has to have a crispy crust on the outside and be moist in the inside, the custardy mixture must pack some good flavour, otherwise is just a bland toast. Hope you will become a fan of French toast, just as I am!
– 60g (3) Cornfed Eggs
– 225ml (1 Cup) Any Milk
– 15g (1 Tbsp) vanilla
– 30g (2 Tbsp) maple syrup
– 15g (1 Tbsp) orange zest
– Pinch of cinnamon & nutmeg
– 160g (4 Slices) Brioche or crusty bread
– 15g (1 Tbsp) brown sugar (for sprinkling)
– 30g (2 Tbsp) butter
– Sprinkle of icing sugar (optional)
– Greek yogurt
– (2 Tbsp) Maple Syrup
– Fresh Berries
1. In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, maple syrup, orange zest cinnamon & nutmeg.
2. Place bread in the egg mixture & let soak.
3. Flip & let the bread soak in the other side.
4. Heat up a dry frying pan, medium to low heat, add some butter to the pan.
5. Sprinkle some sugar on both sides of the tast for that caramelised , crispy exterior.
5. Cook toast, until golden brown on each side, 3-4 minutes per side.
6. Serve French toast with your favourite toppings, I love maple syrup, yogurt & berries.
Jeeny Maltese, a Latin-American born TV chef & food writer. Featuring as celebrity chef on the RTE “Today Show with Maura & Daithi” and Virgin Media “The Six O’Clock Show”. Keynote speaker and guest chef at top festivals & events nationwide. Passionate about good eating & good food, making it accessible for everyone, through her cooking methods and philosophy. Enamoured with Ireland’s stunning land, quality food produce & its passionate people.
You can catch up with Jeeny at all the top food festivals nationwide, doing live cookery demonstrations on stage and talks all over the country, from Taste of Dublin, Galway International Food Festival, Taste of Cavan, Savour Kilkenny and many more.
Follow Chef Jeeny Maltese on: