It is Wild Salmon season in Ireland, the best time of the year to get a real quality piece of salmon: tasty, fresh and extremely nutritious. We are sharing with you one of our most famous recipes, as it is so succulent, mouth watering good but also extremely easy and quick. You can impress your loved ones and friends at a dinner party with this dish or a quick healthy supper after a long day of work. Either way we hope it will become one of your favourite recipes and that you will include it as part of your weekly dishes, as the health benefits are extremely beneficial and the taste is just glorious.
Health Benefits of Salmon: It is an excellent source of high-quality protein, vitamins and minerals (including potassium, selenium and vitamin B12) but it is their content of omega-3 fatty acids that contributes to healthy brain function, heart, joints and general wellbeing. Selenium is also essential for a good sex drive and virility.
Bok Choy’s (which is also referred to as Chinese white cabbage) impressive nutritional profile contains vitamins C and K, plus a higher concentration of beta-carotene and vitamin A than any other variety of cabbage. It also contains important nutrients such as calcium, magnesium, potassium, and manganese, all wrapped up in an extremely low-calorie package.
– 1 cup soy sauce
– 1/4 cup honey
– 2 tablespoons lemon juice
– 1 inch peeled fresh ginger, thinly sliced
– 3 cloves garlic, crushed
– 4 salmon fillets, about 1 1/2 pounds
– 4-6 heads of baby bok choy, roots trimmed off (optional veg)
1. Whisk soy sauce, honey, lemon juice, ginger, and garlic together until honey dissolves. Reserve 1/4 cup of marinade in separate bowl, then place salmon fillets, skin-side up, in marinade. Allow to marinate for at least 10 minutes, the longer you leave it to marinade the better.
2. Meanwhile, preheat grill to high heat. Heat 1/4 cup of water in a medium sauce pan over high heat and bring to a boil. Add bok choy and cover. Allow to steam until almost tender, about 2-4 minutes. Remove from heat and water then add reserved marinade. Toss to combine.
3. Put the salmon under the grill skin-side down and broil without turning until exterior is well-caramelized and the fish is just cooked through, 7-10 minutes, depending on thickness and the distance from the grill.
4. Arrange bok choy on plates and top with the salmon fillets.
My Nutrition’s Tips: You can replace bok choy for baby spinach, or any of your favourite vegetables. Serve with your favourite carbs, quinoa, wholegrain rice, wholegrain cous cous or wholegrain noodles. You can also cook the salmon on a pan or BBQ. Vegetarians & Vegans can use smoked tofu in replacement of the salmon and follow the same method.
Our recommended Wine Pairing for this Recipe
On the nose you first think a beautiful burgundy but it’s an amazing New Zealand with the essence of burgundy. It has lovely green fruits & tropical fruits as well as some nuttiness with a light smoky undertone.
All these beautiful aromas flow onto the palate with the addition of peaches, mandarin and some savoury characteristics.
This is a complex wine that delivers. It will pair so well with this dish as the citrus and fruit notes will balance with the glaze on the salmon with the smoky tones working with the fresh salmon.
Available from O’Brien’s Wines Nationwide or Online.
My Nutrition Ireland is a Nutritional & Health Consultancy which was set up by Thomas Coleman and his wife Jeeny Maltese in 2013. They understand the importance of Health and how it impacts on people, their well-being and performance both in the workplace, at home and in Sports Performance. It’s a marriage made in Heaven many would say.
Jeeny Maltese is a romantic, energetic girl from Venezuela and has a passion for Food, Health & Beauty without sacrificing taste; an extremely talented cook described as a “Latin Nigella Lawson” by many. Tom Coleman – her husband is a Nutritionist with a background in Science and Health Promotion, with a life time passion in Health, Sports & Science.
Together they have combined their passion into an exciting business with a growing following. Our aim is to spread the word that Healthy Eating with us is easy, quick, inexpensive, practical and sexy! Gorgeous food doesn’t have to be complicated and hard to reach.