Glittering Summer Meringue Recipe from Siúcra
Inject a burst of colour into your dessert this summer by whipping up a batch of these adorable and delightful summer inspired mini meringues.
This simple dessert will create a firework display of colour and flavour for your next summer soiree.
Ask the kids to help you with the toppings for this tasty combination of different flavoured meringues, and watch as family and friends are blown away by their unique and magical appearance.
Makes 40-60 meringues
– 4-5 egg whites (about 150g)
– 300g Siúcra Granulated Sugar
– 1/2 tsp vinegar
– Piping bag
For colours & toppings
– 2 tbsp. lemon zest
– 50g desiccated coconut
– 3 tbsp freeze-dried raspberries
– 3 tbsp cocoa
– Yellow, red & pink food colouring
– Edible glitter
1. Preheat the oven to 200°c. Line a baking tray (30×40 cm) with parchment paper, pour the sugar onto it and place in the oven for about 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile whisk the egg whites into firm white peaks.
3. Take the sugar out of the oven and lower the heat to 100°C.
4. Continue whisking the egg whites at high speed and add the hot sugar a little at a time. Following this, add the vinegar.
5. Whisk at maximum speed for 5-10 minutes, or until the mixture is opaque and completely stiff. Add flavourings as desired.
6. Click or pipe out small meringues.
7. Bake in the oven for 3 hours, then switch off the oven and leave the meringues in the residual heat for a few hours, until they are completely dry.
Add Flavourings as Desired
– 2 tbsp. lemon zest, yellow food colouring
– 50g desiccated coconut, half added to the meringue mixture and half scattered over the top
– 3 tbsp. freeze-dried raspberries, red/pink food colouring
– About 3 tbsp. cocoa, 1 tbsp. folded into the mixture and 2 tbsp. scattered over the meringues
– Sprinkle with edible glitter to add a magical touch