This spaghetti recipe is one of those dishes that you just look at and feel sure that you shouldn’t be eating it. It seems to tick too many naughty boxes to be good for you.
Well, good news: following a workout, this is a well-deserved treat to be enjoyed without a smidgen of guilt. The carbohydrate in the spaghetti will be redirected to your muscles to aid recovery and help promote lean muscle growth.
– 100g spaghetti
– 2 tbsps olive oil
– ½ onion, diced
– 2 rashers of bacon, chopped
– 50ml hot vegetable stock
– 100g frozen peas
– 40–60g soft goat’s cheese
– 50g spinach
– salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan, then add the onion and cook for 3 minutes until starting to soften. Add the bacon, cook for a further 5 minutes, then pour in the stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for a few minutes until the liquid has reduced slightly.
3. Stir in the peas, followed by the goat’s cheese, until the cheese has melted and the peas are defrosted. Quickly stir through the spinach to wilt. Drain the pasta and mix with the sauce. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
Max Lowery is a personal trainer and online health coach who trains many high-profile celebrity clients, influencers and tastemakers, including some of the world’s top models. In The 2-Meal Day, Max Lowery introduces intermittent fasting – eat just two meals a day, either breakfast and lunch or lunch and dinner – to burn fat and get fit fast.
Ditch the calorie-counting and the sugar highs and lows and enjoy two meals a day alongside Max’s workouts for a leaner, fitter, healthier body.
The 2 Meal Day by Max Lowery is published by Kyle Books. Photography by Kate Whitaker and Michelle Beatty.