This grilled lamb steaks with spicy mango salsa dish offers a vibrant alternative to the classic steak dinner. The low fat salsa can be prepared in advance and is a zingy combination that cuts perfectly through the rich lamb.
Preparation time: 20 minutes (+ 30 minutes resting time)
Cooking time: 5 to 7 minutes
– 4 lamb steaks or side loin chops
– 1 mango
– ½ cucumber, deseeded
– ½ bunch of scallions
– 1 red chilli
– 1 passion fruit
– 2 limes
– 2 tbsp fish sauce
– 2 tbsp garlic-infused olive oil
– Salt and pepper
1. Chop the flesh of the mango and cucumber into small pieces. Slice the scallions (the white section and ¾ of the green). Deseed the chilli and chop very finely. Place everything into a small mixing bowl.
2. Cut the passion fruit in half and empty the juice and seeds into the mixing bowl using a small spoon. Add the finely grated zest of 1 lime and 4 tbsp of lime juice. Add the fish sauce, mix and season to taste. Cover and leave to rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
3. Take the lamb out of the fridge 30 minutes in advance of cooking. Pre-heat a frying pan on a high heat. Brush the lamb with garlic-infused olive oil, season with salt and pepper and place in the pan. Cook for 2 minutes on each side, then reduce the heat and continue to cook depending on your preference and the thickness of the cut.
4. Serve with the salsa and crusty bread.
– The salsa needs to be left to rest so the flavours can mix and develop, and also to create a crunchy-soft effect.
Mark Moriarty was named the Euro Toques Irish Young Chef of the Year 2013. In February 2015 he was crowned the San Pellegrino UK & Ireland Young chef of the Year at a ceremony in Harrods, London. Representing this region, and mentored by 3 Michelin starred Clare Smyth of Restaurant Gordon Ramsay, Mark went on to be crowned the San Pellegrino World Young Chef of the Year at a ceremony in Milan, Italy.
Since winning the competition last year, Mark has brought his pop up around the world, showcasing a modern interpretation of classic Irish food. A world tour has seen Mark cook cities around the world such as Boston, Milan, Paris, London and at Taste of Dublin and Electric Picnic in Ireland. He is a regular on RTÉ’s Today Show and TV3’s 7 O’clock Show.
This recipe was created by Mark Moriarty for the ‘Lamb – Tasty, Easy, Fun Campaign’, a new campaign launched in association with Bord Bia with co-funding from the EU. Visit www.tastyeasylamb.ie a tasty and fun destination for all things lamb.