Anyone who’s anyone who loves ice cream and soda will love this ice cream floats recipe. Ice cream, plus soda pop, plus one long spoon and an even longer straw is the national symbol for happiness in the USA.
I always thought these should be a little more adult-friendly. Some things are great in childhood for a reason, but did a touch of rum here or there ever make desserts worse? Didn’t think so. Fair warning though, these can sneak up on you, so line your stomach well beforehand.
Each recipe makes one float
Coke & Spiced Rum Float
– 215ml Coca-Cola
– 50ml spiced rum
– 70g ginger ice cream (about 2 balls)
1. Pour the Coca-Cola, closely followed by the rum, into a tall glass – a milkshake glass is best.
2. Top with the ice cream and serve with a straw (for the liquor) and a long spoon (for the ice-cream treat).
Oranges and Cream Float
– 215ml orange soda
– 50ml Cointreau
– 70g clotted cream ice cream (about 2 balls)
1. Pour the orange soda and Cointreau into a tall glass.
2. Top with the ice cream balls and serve immediately. Have a handy wipe close by – this is a sticky one.
Root Beer and Honey Whiskey Float
– 215ml root beer
– 50ml honey whiskey (or 50ml regular whiskey and 1 tablespoon clear honey whisked together)
– 70g vanilla ice cream (about 2 balls)
1. Pour the root beer and honey whiskey (or whiskey and honey)into a tall glass.
2. Top with the ice cream balls and devour right away.
Florence Cornish is a food blogger and chef. She trained at Leiths School of Food and Wine in London and was a River Cottage Rising Star Finalist in 2013. Made In The USA is a celebration of, all things great and glorious about American food, including 100 recipes showcasing the melting-pot of American cuisine. It covers breakfast classics such as Eggs Benedict and Pancakes with Blueberries & Cinnamon, slow cooking with Pulled Pork and Blue Belly Burgers and regional dishes such as San Francisco Spaghetti with Clams. The perfect cookbook for anyone who loves American cuisine.
Taken from Made in the USA by Florence Cornish priced at £18.99. Published by Kyle Books. To buy your copy kylebooks.co.uk