Zesty Beef and Guinness Casserole Recipe from the Irish Pub Cookbook
This beef and Guinness casserole recipe tastes better if made the day before eating, so it’s perfect for entertaining. Serve with lots of creamy mashed potato.
– 85g/3oz butter
– 1 onion, finely chopped
– 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
– 900g/2lb stewing beef, trimmed and cut into chunks
– 2 tbsp seasoned flour
– 115g/4oz carrots, thickly sliced
– 55g/2oz celery, thickly sliced
– ¼ tsp grated nutmeg
– ¼ tsp mixed spice
– 600ml/1 pint Guinness
– Grated zest and juice of 2 oranges
– Salt and freshly ground black pepper
– Chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 120°C/250°F/Gas Mark ½.
2. Melt half the butter in a casserole dish, add the onion and garlic and sweat over a low heat for 10 minutes, or until softened. Meanwhile toss the meat in the seasoned flour.
3. Melt the remaining butter in a large frying pan, add the meat and cook, tossing occasionally, until browned all over. Transfer to the casserole dish.
4. Add the carrots, celery, nutmeg and mixed spice to the casserole dish, season to taste with salt and pepper and pour in the Guinness. Bring to a simmer, then cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook in the preheated oven for about 6 hours, until the meat is meltingly tender.
5. Stir in the orange zest and juice and leave to cool overnight.
6. Reheat in an oven preheated to 150°C/300°F/Gas Mark 2 for 45 minutes.
Serve in warmed bowls, garnished with parsley.
This pocket-sized cookbook includes classic Irish pub dishes, from simple bar snacks to Sunday roasts, as well as exciting new suggestions such as risotto, salmon en croute, and even warm bacon salad!
There are soups, old favourites, main dishes, sides, snacks, salads, puds and special drinks. Every easy-to-follow recipe is illustrated with a mouth-watering photograph.
The Pocket Irish Pub Cookbook is published by Gill Books and is available to buy here, priced €4.99.