This Healthy Victoria Sponge Cake Recipe is so tasty and looks great too. Don’t be put off by the seemingly endless list of instructions – trust me it’s actually super simple and tastes divine!
This recipe is Gluten Free, Dairy Free & Paleo.
– 60g coconut oil
– 4 eggs
– 300ml honey
– 2 tsp vanilla extract
– 150ml almond milk
– 450g ground almonds
– 2 tsp baking powder
– Pinch of coarse salt
– 40g smooth cashew butter
1 portion of chia jam
– 125g raspberries
– 175g strawberries
– 2 tbsp chia seeds
– 2 tbsp honey
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– Large handful of raspberries & strawberries
– 2 pots of vanilla coconut yoghurt
1. Begin by preparing the chia jam, for this cake I have adapted my raspberry chia jam recipe to include strawberries.
2. Rinse the fruit in some cold water and strain, leaving a small bit of water on them.
3. Place in a saucepan over a low heat for 5-10 minutes until they start to soften, stirring regularly.
4. Stir in the chia seeds and cook for a further minute or so before finally stirring in the honey and vanilla.
5. Remove from the heat and allow to cool while you prepare the remainder of the cake.
6. Preheat your oven to 180°c/356°F and line two 8 inch baking trays with parchment paper, I also greased the edges with coconut oil to avoid any sticking and it worked a charm.
7. Melt the coconut oil and add to a large mixing bowl with the eggs, honey, almond milk and vanilla extract, mix thoroughly until combined.
8. Next add the ground almonds, baking powder & salt again mixing thoroughly until combined.
9. Lastly, add the cashew butter and mix until the mixture is fully combined.
Spread the mixture evenly across both baking dishes.
10. Place in the oven for 35 minutes until golden and fully cooked.
11. Once the cakes are fully cooked remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the dishes and placing on a wire rack to cool.
12. Flip the cakes every 10 minutes while cooling to avoid them sticking on the rack.
13. Once fully cooled, place 1 of the cakes on a serving plate, then spread them jam on the top of both cakes, holding back 1-2 spoonfuls for the top.
14. Next spread half of the coconut yoghurt on one of the cakes and sandwich both cakes together.
Spread the remaining coconut yoghurt on top with the chia jam.
15. Lastly, scatter on the remaining fruit and serving!
Food is my passion! I spend every spare minute I have experimenting in the kitchen! I am constantly coming up with clean alternatives to junk foods in order to promote healthy eating in a unique and exciting way. My recipes are gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo and occasionally vegan. I hope you enjoy this recipe and after having a look through my blog are inspired to try new things!