At the heart of this Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe is a recipe for super chocolatey double chocolate chunk cookies; super soft on the inside with a crisp outside they taste great on their own.
Filled them with ice cream and you have yourself the ultimate sunny day treat; ice cream cookie sandwiches which, let’s be honest, are just as great on cold day, or rainy day – because every day should be an ice cream cookie sandwich day!
Makes about 24
– 110g soft, salted butter
– 75g good quality dark chocolate (melted)
– 100g white caster sugar
– 100g soft brown sugar
– 1 large eggs
– 1 tsp vanilla
– 210g self raising flour
– 40g good coco powder
– 1/2 tsp baking powder
– 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
– 175g of chocolate chips
– Tub mint chocolate chip ice cream
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F or Gas mark 4. Line your cookie sheets with some parchment.
2. Beat the sugars, butter and chocolate together.
3. Add the egg and the vanilla and mix until fully incorporated.
4. Dry whisk the flour, coco powder, baking powder and bicarb of soda together and then add to the wet mix. Mix until just together.
5. Add the chocolate chips and mix until combined. This mix is not very sticky, but more of a playdoh consistency, add a tablespoon of flour to the mix, one at a time, if yours is still a bit sticky. Stop once you get to playdoh!
6. Using a tablespoon, scoop out the dough and roll them into balls. I measure mine to be roughly 20g balls. I fit 6 cookies on my sheets, juts space yours about 5cm apart as they spread.
7. Cook for 10-12 minutes, depending on how crisp you want them to be. Once they come out of the oven leave them on the sheet to cool for at least 15-20 minutes.
8. Once they have cooled, sandwich two cookies with a scoop of ice cream and enjoy! These cookies can be frozen, if you are making the sandwiches ahead of time, but I think they taste better served immediately.
Visit Hazel’s blog: www.procrastibake.ie