Nothing beats the unique and delicious flavour of lamb. Whether it’s cooked with just a little seasoning or combined with exotic spices and flavours, lamb is the perfect hero ingredient for everyday meal occasions, whether you’re flying solo or cooking for family or friends.
Lamb is also a quick and simple meat to prepare which can be easily transformed for a variety of ethnic cuisines. From Moroccan lamb tagines to spicy quesadillas from Mexico; Ceylon lamb curry from Sri Lanka to Japanese style lamb yakitori, and not least forgetting delicious lamb burgers and kebabs perfect for al fresco dining over the summer – there is something to suit all tastes and every meal occasion.
This lamb quiche recipe is simple and delicious, perfect for a summer picnic. Give your everyday meals an exciting twist and check out www.tastyeasylamb.ie for recipe inspiration.
– 350g cooked roast lamb, finely sliced
– 200g fresh spinach leaves, washed
– 1 tbsp butter
– 2 cloves of garlic, crushed, optional
– Salt and pepper
– A few sprigs of fresh thyme
– 3 eggs
– 250ml crème fraîche
– 100g feta-style or cheddar cheese, crumbled/grated
– 1 pack ready-made short-crust pastry
– 2 tbsp pine nuts
1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4, 180 C°(350°F).
2. Melt the butter in a high-sided frying pan or wok and add the spinach and garlic, if using. Cook on a medium heat until all the water has evaporated. Season, drain in a colander and press firmly to remove any remaining water.
3. Sprinkle the lamb with the thyme leaves and season.
4. Beat the eggs with the crème fraîche in a bowl. Add the spinach, lamb and half the cheese.
Season with a little salt and pepper.
5. Line a large tart dish (27 cm) with the pastry. Pour the filling in evenly, then sprinkle with the
remainder of the cheese and the pine nuts.
6. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
7. Serve hot, with by a salad, as a starter (6 people) or as a main course (3 people). You can also
enjoy this delicious quiche warm or cold at a buffet, picnic or lunch in the office.
Tip: This recipe is an excellent way to make the most of the leftovers of Sunday’s roast lamb.
This feature was created for the ‘Lamb – Tasty, Easy, Fun Campaign’, a new campaign launched in association with Bord Bia with co-funding from the EU. Visit www.tastyeasylamb.ie a tasty and fun destination for all things lamb.