This marinated squid recipe is really good as it is, but if you want to make it a more substantial meal, add some veg such as fennel, new potatoes or green beans. You can also use cuttlefish for this recipe.
– 600g prepared squid, cut into rings
– 3 tbsp olive oil
– juice and zest of 1 lemon
– 1 garlic clove, crushed
– 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
– 1 tsp sweet paprika
– ½ tsp hot paprika
– small bunch of flat leaf parsley, chopped
– a few sprigs of thyme
– a few mint leaves
– 1 red onion, finely sliced into crescents
– 2 oranges, segmented
– 100g salad leaves, to serve
1. Rinse the squid thoroughly inside and out. Bring a large saucepan of water to a fierce, rolling boil, then add salt.
2. Add half the squid and cook it for 40 seconds exactly. Remove it with a slotted spoon and put it in a bowl of iced water.
3. Bring the water back to the boil and cook the rest of the squid in the same way.
4. Put the olive oil, lemon juice and zest, garlic, sherry vinegar and paprikas into a
5. Drain the squid thoroughly and add them to the bowl, then stir and cover.
6. Leave them to chill in the fridge for at least an hour or overnight if you like.
7. Just before you are ready to serve, add the herbs and the red onion. Prepare the oranges and squeeze any juice out of the skin and membrane.
Add the segments and juice to the squid and mix thoroughly.
8. Serve immediately over salad leaves.
9. If you’re using cuttlefish, you need one large prepared cuttlefish cut into strips.
10. Cook it for 2–3 minutes – try a piece after 2 minutes for tenderness and cook for longer if necessary. Proceed as above.
The Hairy Bikers are on their bikes again, searching out the very best recipes from around the world. This time, they’re discovering the most delicious food from our favourite Mediterranean countries.
Including recipes from their upcoming prime time BBC Two cookery show, Mediterranean Adventure celebrates the culinary delights of France, Spain and Italy. With more of us understanding the health benefits of a Med diet, these hearty and healthy dishes are a taste of the very best holiday memories.
Fresh, classic, easy and seasonal, enjoy their favourite Med recipes with the nation’s favourite cooking duo!
The Hairy Bikers’ Mediterranean Adventure is published by Orion” rel=”noopener” target=”_blank”>Orion Books