Mexican Breakfast Bowl Recipe by Nina Olsson
My love of tacos and Mexican food is undying, but I often skip the taco shells and make a salad bowl with my favourite Mexican flavours instead.
This Mexican Breakfast Bowl Recipe is full of flavour and nutritious goodness. Don’t let the long list of ingredients put you off this recipe. It’s really quick and easy and you will probably have most of the ingredients, such as the spices, in your cupboard already.
The mouthwatering combination of lime, coriander, mango, bean and tofu scramble makes this a real super-bowl. I’ve added protein-rich quinoa – a nutritional powerhouse – to continue the Latin American theme. The serving suggestions can be easily substituted with your own favourite add-ons.
– 200g quinoa
– Baja Sauce
– 100ml mayonnaise
– 100ml crème fraîche
– 1 avocado, stoned, peeled and chopped
– Pinch of salt
– Zest and juice of 1 lime
– 1 mango, peeled, stoned and diced
– 1 avocado, stoned, peeled and diced
– 1 jalapeno, deseeded and finely chopped
– Juice of 1 lime
– Handful of coriander and mint leaves, finely chopped
– Rapeseed oil
– 250g smoked tofu, crumbled
– 1 red onion, diced
– 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped to a paste
– 400g can black beans, rinsed and drained
– 200g corn kernels
– ½ tsp of the following ground spices: cumin, oregano, black pepper
– 1 tsp paprika
– 1 tsp ground coriander
– ¾ tsp salt
– ¼ tsp chilli powder
– Handful of fresh coriander, chopped
– Salt and pepper
To Serve (Optional)
– 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
– 4 radishes, thinly sliced
– Red cabbage, thinly shredded
– Hot sauce (sriricha or similar)
– Grated cheese or nutritional yeast
– Lime wedges
– Mini corn tortillas (optional)
1. Cook the quinoa according to the packet instructions. Drain and fluff with a fork then set aside.
2. Mix the baja sauce ingredients into a smooth sauce. Place in the fridge until ready to serve. 3. Mix the salsa ingredients and set aside.
4. To make the scramble, heat a frying pan over a medium–high heat and add a drizzle of rapeseed oil.
5. Stir-fry the tofu crumbles, in batches if necessary, for 2–3 minutes until golden.
6. Transfer the tofu to a bowl.
7. Clean the pan and reheat over a medium–high heat. Add another drizzle of rapeseed oil and fry the red onion and garlic for 4 minutes on a low heat until the onion is transparent.
8. Add the black beans, tofu, quinoa and corn and fry for 3-4 minutes over a medium–low heat.
9. Add the dry spices, then mix well and cook for a further 1–2 minutes on a low heat. Remove from the heat and toss with the coriander. Add salt and pepper to taste.
10. Divide the quinoa and bean scramble between four bowls. Serve with salsa, spring onions, radishes, red cabbage, baja sauce, hot sauce, grated cheese and lime wedges.
11. Add mini corn tortillas if you want that extra taco crunch.
Nina Olsson is a recipe maker, photographer and author of the vegetarian food blog Nourish Atelier. She has worked creatively with food for magazines for 10 years and is an award winning art director, stylist and designer. Nina’s recipes are always vegetarian and often vegan. Her food philosophy is all about balance and fun. Nina’s blog showcases plant-based bowl food at its very best. Bowls of Goodness is wholesome vegetarian food at its best and it is inspired by cooking from around the world. Including smoothies, plant based recipes, salads and sharing dishes – all foods that are all served in a bowl.
Bowls of Goodness is available to buy at www.kylebooks.com.